• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Question on Street - Road Signs

SignShopDave

I am trying to quote a few Street signs for a costumer. The requirements are High Intensity Prismatic Sheeting green background white lettering. I called my supplier and they told me I could use white prismatic reflective blanks and 3M 1170 green overlay and cut out the names leaving a green sign with the white lettering.

Is this up to state regulations in the USA?
Do I need an additional overlay or laminate?
Am I completely off? if so what would I need?

I understand the Font (Highway Gothic) and Size of the blade (9") I don't know what the best material to use for this job.

ikarasu

We specialize in traffic signs, but in Canada. I believe every state in US has different regulations... but I may be wrong.

Using 1177 green would work out here - You could also sheet it 3937, then diecut white... etc. Only our huge highway signs are green - Which is usually sheeted green, then diecut white.. using White blanks with 1177 should be acceptable though, as you dont lose the reflectivity on it.

Is it a customer who wants the signs infront of his house/shop, or the city? Usually all our traffic signs state what is acceptable and what isnt.

I'd ask your city for the regulations on it - Everything should be laid out in their standards guide, and It's likely free to anyone who asks for it. Over here... we have to use Specific 3M brand in some areas, some ask for Avery... etc. So you need to know the exact vinyl brand and everything, it's best to get a copy of the regulations and look into it ,since it's specific for your state/city.

AKwrapguy

I am trying to quote a few Street signs for a costumer. The requirements are High Intensity Prismatic Sheeting green background white lettering. I called my supplier and they told me I could use white prismatic reflective blanks and 3M 1170 green overlay and cut out the names leaving a green sign with the white lettering.

I understand the Font (Highway Gothic) and Size of the blade (9") I don't know what the best material to use for this job.

There are very specific guidelines for creating road signs. There are government, state, city specifics that you must conform to from the type of Aluminum, dimensions, to the brand/manufacture of vinyl. So you will have to do a little research. Up here in we use 3M HIP with 1170 series overlay. Most road signs are on .125 aluminum.

SignShopDave

This is what I received form the town.
"The signs shall be 9” blade, 6” letters, .080 gage aluminum, high intensity prismatic sheeting, green background, white lettering, and highway gothic font"

I would like to use the 1170 over the 3M HIP because it is easier to cut. I can not seem to find out if this follows the specific guidelines for our state/town. where would I find that information?

ikarasu

Go up to Some Street blades already installed, and see how they were done.

You can call your local city official / dot and ask. Odds are white with green is fine though, 3m makes the 1175 just for this purpose .

unclebun

You buy the blanks already sheeted with the green. You cut the letters from white reflective and stick it on. It's really that simple.
But please, please use Highway Gothic for the font, and do not use Arial and then stretch it or squish it to fit like so many idiots do.

If your supplier doesn't make street sign blanks with the hi-intensity green or blue background that is standard everywhere, find a different supplier that does. Grimco, for example, started out as a traffic sign supplier, and makes all the correct street sign blanks. They also sell the necessary poles and mounting brackets and hardware.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
"The signs shall be 9” blade, 6” letters, .080 gage aluminum, high intensity prismatic sheeting, green background, white lettering, and highway gothic font"

I would like to use the 1170 over the 3M HIP because it is easier to cut. I can not seem to find out if this follows the specific guidelines for our state/town. where would I find that information?
Yes, you're thinking right on the materials and treatment---I've made tones of them this way in and around the Richmond Virginia area.

StarSign

Use HIP sheeted blanks, reverse cut the EC film (1175) apply to blank. Don't cut white reflective letters. Use the correct font and don't forget to use upper and lower case per the MUTCD specs

Ready

Ready To Go
https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/shsm_interim/index.htm

These are F/DOT specs... highest in the land. Usually the translucent green, blue, red etc is a reverse weed and goes on top of the white reflective background vinyl.

Bob P

Billct2

It could be regular white cast vinyl on green Hi Reflective in which case you could buy premade green blanks and letter with white.

AKwrapguy

Get the blanks sheet them in HIP and than cut the 1175 and apply....

Robert Gruner

SignShop Dave

How many signs do they want?

You can buy the blanks from a ton of sources.
The 3M Prismatic and reverse cut EC overlam is pretty pricey in small quantities. Note that the 6" Hwy Gothic Font has a "specific kerning value". Cities can and have been sued by car insurance companies for displaying FHA Approved Traffic Sings with improper "kerning" between letters and numbers making it difficult for their client to read the sign.

3M, HP, and SAI have teamed up to offer a very slick out door Traffic Sign making solution:

Using SAI, 3M Traffic Signmaking Software to design Federal MUTCD Traffic Signs and then printing the signs from an HP 360 Latex Ink Printer direct to 3M Prismatic or Diamond Grade film and laminated with 3M clear EC Film, 3M will warrant sign to last up to 10 years without fading.

Bob

Mosh

Buy them printed from Grimco and just mark them up.Make money for doing nothing and they will be on the correct material.