• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Question

jimbug72

I have a client (or rather a marketing agency hired by one of our clients) who is wanting to put removable vinyl on an interior wall of a new location. The marketing agency is outsourcing the prints to another company.

I've not worked a lot with removable vinyls. Done a few things with PhotoTex, used some old GMI product years and years ago and have worked with a couple of Oracal removables in the past.

My contact at said marketing agency is worried about shrinking. The vinyl the printer is using will be GF 226 WALLMARK™ VINYL. For some reason the printer can't give them any more information beyond this link: http://www.generalformulations.com/...ite/Low-Tack-Microsphere-Adhesive/Concept-226

So does anyone have experience with this material that can chime in on the subject of shrinking?

It will be going in a climate controlled office of a telecom company on painted sheet rock. I told requested a .24" overlap for the seams to help offset any shrinking but they are still worried about gaps. I'm thinking it should be okay but I figured I would defer to someone with experience.

Also, since this is a new location it was fairly recently painted. Not knowing what type of paint was used any recommendations on how long I should wait before applying the vinyl?

TIA for any help offered.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
GF 226 is a standard wall vinyl many shops use. Works fine as a wall vinyl, as it's intended. Avery 2610 works well, 3M IJ 3555 works. But the ones designed for wall murals are usually 6mil, thicker than standard vinyls, to make them easy to install. They don't stretch either so lining up panels is easier. And I would request a 1/2" or more overlap (I often do 1".)

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Not a lot of experience with that material and feedback on installed jobs. We use other material for low tac that has air egress. We have used similar from GF with mixed results as far as shrinkage. I personally think 6mil is more stable overall but I could be wrong. Their print media is hit and miss for with the coating they use on our latex printers. UV printing works fine. Wait a while if freshly painted or tell them you want to do a test area at their cost. See how it works out in one area due to fresh paint.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Look into Arlon brand. I believe they have some vinyls that will work well against low to non voc paints. I'm not 100% on that but my local Glantz guy was trying to sell me on them with that benefit.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
If they are worried about shrinking, I'd go with a larger overlap. Maybe 1/2" or 1".

Someone knows what type of paint was used. To prevent failure, it's important to find out. Low VOC or 0 VOC paints don't usually get along very well with vinyl adhesives.

If the vinyl falls off the wall a week later, you probably don't want to have to deal with going back to redo the job. Or being on the hook for replacing the prints.

Depending on how much the job (or the client) is worth to you, you might want to do some testing to make sure.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/241610O/5-37-application-guide-to-smooth-and-textured-walls.pdf

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1393877O/wall-adhesion-test-kit-flyer-hrb.pdf

Ldireprophil

This

Attachments

• mojave.JPG
    mojave.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 118

DPD

FWIW, I used to tape mount dimensional letters at a local hospital. I did a lot of work with this over my time there. I used to use a paint mask vinyl for my template and after about 10 years of this work I noticed that my mask wasn't sticking to surfaces that were painted and outgassed. I switched to a high tack vinyl for my templates. It was scary at first because the paint layers are unusually thin one coat layers.
Ok, I should have said this upfront but they probably went to a non graffiti paint but nobody could tell me it was so.

Those that told you to watch for the paint are correct.

Steenland

Old Member
Definitely get a small sample or scrap of the media and find a non-conspicuous place to test it on the wall. Burnish it so that the texture of the sheetrock shows through. I can usually tell within minutes if the vinyl is going to work depending on whether the sheet rock texture stays bumpy, or starts to go smooth.

RICHARD SIMMONS

I have a client (or rather a marketing agency hired by one of our clients) who is wanting to put removable vinyl on an interior wall of a new location. The marketing agency is outsourcing the prints to another company.

I've not worked a lot with removable vinyls. Done a few things with PhotoTex, used some old GMI product years and years ago and have worked with a couple of Oracal removables in the past.

My contact at said marketing agency is worried about shrinking. The vinyl the printer is using will be GF 226 WALLMARK™ VINYL. For some reason the printer can't give them any more information beyond this link: http://www.generalformulations.com/...ite/Low-Tack-Microsphere-Adhesive/Concept-226

So does anyone have experience with this material that can chime in on the subject of shrinking?

It will be going in a climate controlled office of a telecom company on painted sheet rock. I told requested a .24" overlap for the seams to help offset any shrinking but they are still worried about gaps. I'm thinking it should be okay but I figured I would defer to someone with experience.

Also, since this is a new location it was fairly recently painted. Not knowing what type of paint was used any recommendations on how long I should wait before applying the vinyl?

TIA for any help offered.
I would recomend paint with a sealer paint before instaling vinil. Let it dry for 3-4 days

Annette Asberg

We had one customer that had painted his walls without using any recommended primer and when we was trying to put up the Vinyl it fell off.
I called Dunn Edwards and they said that he need to start it all over again. So we ended up doing one more lobbysign instead of doing one and one vinyl:)