• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Removal Job

Okay, so I got a call from a local ambulance squad that recently purchased a used rig from another local community. This would potentially be our first ambulance job so before I write up an estimate I would like some opinions on time involved in removing the old graphics. Also any tips or tricks that we may want to consider would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea how long it will take to remove the old vinyl from this rig. I'm guessing if there are two of us working on it, we would be looking at at least a 16 hour removal job but I'm afraid I may be WAY off on that estimate. We've never had to remove this much reflective stuff (the red stripes and red graphics are reflective) so I'm kind of clueless. As far as estimating the cost of new graphics, that shouldn't be too much trouble, but then again, any advice is greatly appreciated. From the sound of it they want the same graphics only with purple reflective to replace the red and all of the lettering would be replaced as well. I'm leaning more toward removing all of the existing graphics and starting from scratch. Is it unrealistic to think that we should strip everything and start from scratch? I think they would like us to leave the black stripes and only replace the red, if possible. I just don't see it being possible to reproduce the star graphic with enough accuracy to be able to do that. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_20120325_164457.jpg
    IMG_20120325_164457.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20120325_164528.jpg
    IMG_20120325_164528.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20120325_164558.jpg
    IMG_20120325_164558.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20120325_164610.jpg
    IMG_20120325_164610.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 75

Circleville Signs

Removal is ALWAYS....ALWAYS....ALWAYS....

However long it takes * Shop rate.

YOU CANNOT ACCURATELY QUOTE REMOVAL. There are just too many variables. I am doing an ambulance Friday. They had two contracts to sign. One of them was basically a blank check stating that they agree to pay me our shop rate * however long it takes. If you do it any other way, you are insane.

And yes - you should strip everything and start from scratch. Also, your contract for removal needs to CYA any damage to the paint that may be caused by the removal. Your contract for the new graphics needs to CYA in case there is damage to the paint from removal that you will be putting new graphics over.

Thank you, Gary. Great advice! I will be sure to price the removal that way. I know I've heard of people on this forum pricing removal that way in the past, but I didn't know if that was a widely acceptable method or not. However, it makes complete sense. Thanks again.

So far, for an estimate to do the new graphics, I've come up with $2,590.50. Does that sound unreasonable for this kind of job? I'm thinking it's pretty cheap if anything. I would be using Oralite 5600 reflective and Oracal 951 cast for the graphics.

J

john1

I don't know the sizing for the new graphics but removal should always be however long it takes * shop rate.

You can never tell how vinyl will come off beings some comes off all in one piece and some comes in little pixel size pieces.

Good point. My brain keeps telling me I should be more in the $3,000-3,500 ballpark because I'm new to the business and I always tend to bid pretty low but the cutting, weeding, taping, and application of these graphics should be a piece of cake. It's the removal I'm really concerned about.

humpsigns

By the hour rate only..... if that's reflective and been on for a couple years it most likely going to leave the glue on truck when pulling vinyl off. Maybe not if you can get that right temperature thing going with heat gun.Price sounds good for my town, but everybody here seems to lowball just to get job.

J

john1

You're making me cringe. I'm definitely familiar enough with reflective to know it seldom comes off in one piece. I'm guessing that's how this job will be if we get it.

Don't mean to make you scared of the job but that's how removal jobs go. Someone has to do it and more than often, if you tell them they can have a go at it themselves they almost always come to you after.

Pat Whatley

Got a good auto detailer in your area who does steam pressure cleaning on engines? Might be worth a call to see if he'll attempt to strip it. I lettered a fleet of vans with reflective, when it came time to strip them they did that...said the guy literally blasted the reflective vinyl and adhesive off in no time.

If that doesn't work the wallpaper steamer works great. It's slow but it works.

Desert_Signs

Just another +1 to however long it takes * shop rate.

I had a guy bring in a box truck (14') that was wrapped and wanted a quote to remove it. I told him my best guess was 4 hours, but since neither he or I knew what the material was or who installed it (or when! - he bought it used) that it could take considerably longer. Only way I would agree to do the job was if he agreed to pay shop rate for however long it took. He hemmed and hawed and told me that another shop down the road said they would do it for a flat 3 hour charge. I shook his hand, told him I'll be here in 6 months when they go out of business if he ever needed anything else, handed him a business card, thanked him, turned and started to walk back inside.

He said wait a sec and asked me if I were to give him a flat price, what would it be? I said $5k, and meant it. He looked at me like I was nuts and I just looked back. He finally said "Why?" I had to explain to him how business works. If I tie up 2 guys for a whole day or more on his truck, how much other business am I not going to be able to do?

After another few minutes of thinking about it, he said "Do you promise your guys will work as quickly as possible?" Yup, they will. He ended up going for it. My guys busted their asses and had it done in just over 2 hours. Turned out not to be too bad at all.

I did him right and was serious about it. I don't play games with people and he understood it.

A few weeks later he came back and wanted to re-wrap it for his business. We were a little higher than the guys down the street, but guess who got his business? =)