• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl shelf life!

performancesg

Hello out there have a question about shelf life i know this is a wide question but hope to get a little input. I bought a roll of avery cast metallic film from a large supplier after a week recieved the film. date on the roll is 2/6/2008 to long of shelf life? It will be used for vehicle lettering
just was wondering what everybody thinks about the lenghty shelf life good or bad use it or dont use it. thanks :toasting:

wolf

Hi,

Just my 2c.

Shelf life can be from about 12 to 24 months depending on manufacturer, where its stored etc.

The question is: Is the vinyl you have purchased any good?

Cut a piece off the roll and try to tear it like you would tear a piece of letter size paper. If it tears easily (like paper) then I would not be using the vinyl. Good vinyl should not tear easily. Compare this with newer vinyl and you will see a difference.

Hope this helps.

Joe

OldPaint

wellllllllllllllllllllllllll.............i was cuttin some vinyl today and i needed a dark blue. i happened to have a partial roll from maybe 5-6 years ago!!!!! i cut what i needed, and then got the message that it was maybe 8-10 yrs old!!!! it cut fine weeded good, BUT....when i went to pull vinyl off liner with transfer tape, thats when the fun began!!!!! on almost every letter, i had to get a exacto knife and pick it free from the liner so the transfer tape could lift it!!!!! iam gona chuck the rest of that roll)))))

WrapperX

Just to be safe call the supplier. They shouldn't be selling a roll thats dated 3 years old. It's one thing to have a roll you ordered be sitting there in your shop for 3 or more years. It's another for the supplier to have that roll sitting on THIER shelf for 3 or more years. i wouldn't use it.

Plus if you go to Avery's website you can look up the "data sheet" for the material you got. On that sheet it will tell you its life expectancy and the conditions for that life. Good luck.

HulkSmash

Hi,

Cut a piece off the roll and try to tear it like you would tear a piece of letter size paper. If it tears easily (like paper) then I would not be using the vinyl.

Joe

Well... most reflective, premium flake vinyl does tear like paper, so that's not really true.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The manufacturer will have a shelf life date of how long it will last on the shelf before the condition of the vinyl becomes less than optimal. Most manufacturers will have a 1-3 year shelf life of their vinyl where the adhesive will still be viable. after that ... it's really up to how it was stored, the temp it was stored at and ultimately if it's cast calendared or reflective. I have 2 rolls that are a little older ... great for paint masks or temporary graphics ... not much else, only 2 years old.

XGSSDT

We have seen the specs comparing 3M, Oracal, and Avery. Avery only has a 1 year shelf life on the vast majority of their products. 3M and Oracal have a 2 year shelf life.

performancesg

Thanks for all your great input ordered a new roll. Just a little frustrating that you put off your customer for a week to recieve an 3 year old roll of vinyl from a well known supplier to have to put the customer off longer luckily a very understanding customer. thanks again for all your comments.

steve.leleaux

The number on the bottom left of Avery's label is the date it was manufactured. I got some rolls from a supplier last week that were from 2008, haven't had any problems with those. I have some REALLY old rolls laying around, but I'm not sure what the biggest issue of using them would be, failing adhesive? the vinyl itself? or just all around not a good idea?

J Hill Designs

The number on the bottom left of Avery's label is the date it was manufactured. I got some rolls from a supplier last week that were from 2008, haven't had any problems with those. I have some REALLY old rolls laying around, but I'm not sure what the biggest issue of using them would be, failing adhesive? the vinyl itself? or just all around not a good idea?

I'd say the biggest issue is that its avery

WrapperX

Is it wrong to get pissed when people dogg on Avery. I've been working with it for 7+ years and I have had ZERO issues.

steve.leleaux

Is it wrong to get pissed when people dogg on Avery. I've been working with it for 7+ years and I have had ZERO issues.

I'd say no, if you believe in a product or name brand that you stand behind, its easy to get irritated when people make a point to talk trash about it.

OldPaint

its because so many of us OLDER guys, had AN AVERY FAILURE!!!!!! and speaking for myself, the place i bought it from was so nice to me when i showed them how bad it shrunk ON THE VEHICLE..........they offered me a $40 CREDIT........at their place!!!!!!! i have never bought another thing from them since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in fact i got a roll of AVERY SITTING HERE........with a 1/4" of an inch of white backing paper showing ON BOTH SIDES!!!!!!!!! so you wonder why we dis AVERY???? it might be better now, i dont want to take a chance so i NEVER BUY AVERY!!!!!!

showcase 66

its because so many of us OLDER guys, had AN AVERY FAILURE!!!!!! and speaking for myself, the place i bought it from was so nice to me when i showed them how bad it shrunk ON THE VEHICLE..........they offered me a $40 CREDIT........at their place!!!!!!! i have never bought another thing from them since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in fact i got a roll of AVERY SITTING HERE........with a 1/4" of an inch of white backing paper showing ON BOTH SIDES!!!!!!!!! so you wonder why we dis AVERY???? it might be better now, i dont want to take a chance so i NEVER BUY AVERY!!!!!!
+1