• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl that accepts ball point ink and doesn't smear?

sheitmar

I tried searching this answer out before asking, but came up with nothing..

I have a customer who we have recently made vinyl oil change decals for - we used an oracal 3640 vinyl without a laminate for this job - they are writing on them for mileage, date etc. The problem is that the ballpoint pen their technicians use rub off extremely easy. He is requesting a paper option instead, but we never use paper and aren't really willing to order in a full roll of it just for this one purpose, as I know we'll never use it for anything else. Also I have no idea if you can get paper with an adhesive.. Since these are going on rigs likely inside a door jam or under a hood, I'm also uncertain of longevity for a paper option.

The simplest solution was to get him to use permanent markers, but for some reason that's not acceptable to him.

We tried several overlaminates thinking that the ink might stay on those a little better, and some matte finishes seem to work with some success. Any ideas of what other type of media I could use?

Mosh

Just get a pack of stickey paper at office-max and print them on your office printer and cut them down on a paper cutter. Same way shipping labels are made.

We do them for our local garage on static cling, they don't seem to have a problem writing on them, and they are clear that way.

WestcoastSigns

We've just got in some Roland glossy paper with adhesive for posters that we've been playing with. We found it to be water resistant and it seems to have a good adhesive to it. I'll try marking a sample with pen and see how it reacts.

Maybe a supplier sells it for less than a full roll?

MikePro

sell him a "laminate dispenser" in the form of a scotch tape dispenser with his logo on it.
write on decal, put a piece of scotch tape over it, piece of cake

Circleville Signs

I think the bigger question to ask here is what kind of impression this client wants to make on HIS clients. Using regular vinyl with a permanent adhesive for this application is a TERRIBLE idea - especially if they are putting them inside in the top left of the windshield. Does he want his clients have to get a razor blade out to remove that sticker?

sheitmar

This is a construction company that is using these oil change decals for their own personal fleet - they will be installed under the hood or in the door jam. I doubt that static cling would be appropriate for this use. The decals are roughly 4x3", red text on a white background that we print and then plot out with rounded corners. Information about the vehicle such as unit number, date, oil type, next service due date, etc are all included on the decal with an area for the technician to write these in.

His technicians aren't interested in changing to permanent markers, and due to the size of the decal I'm not sure he would be interested in having to cover the writing up with scotch tape.

I'm curious about the Rolland glossy paper - please let me know how you make out!

Mosh, yeah I had hoped that I could get away from that, but that may be the easiest solution. Royster - thanks for that. We had hoped to make them in-house but this might work. Depends on turn-around time though.

Mike F

PhotoTex might work, and it's got a removable/repositionable adhesive. Seramark is another alternative although I think it's a bit more expensive than PhotoTex. I can do a test on the PhotoTex if you'd like, it sounds like you'd be better off going with something removable.

Circleville Signs

Well - see....When you provide ALL of the information, it's much easier to make recommendations....And not have us waste our time.

For what you are describing, static cling definitely IS NOT what is needed. The paper will work, however you are still going to run into some issues. My first thought would be a heavier vinyl with no laminate - maybe a Convex...

sheitmar

Gary, well actually I did mention that they were going under the hood or door jams in my first post :) I want to stay away from paper if I can, but we'll see..

sheitmar

No worries, I know how it goes :) Looking forward to hearing about the Roland paper. Just brought in a few yards of a matte printable vinyl, I think that might be the easiest solution for this.

Thanks for everyone's help!

WestcoastSigns

No worries, I know how it goes :) Looking forward to hearing about the Roland paper. Just brought in a few yards of a matte printable vinyl, I think that might be the easiest solution for this.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I tried it and wrote on some of the Roland paper we have with my blue ink pen and then wet it and didnt smear at all. The adhesive has good grip, its pretty stiff paper and has a coating so they say its weatherproof.
Found this video on the Rolands site about it.

http://www.rolanddga.com/gallery/video/?category=dgaProductDemo&video=R2hj6Rx38nY

See if you can get a sample to try it. I tried cutting with our 45 blade but not cutting in all places so heard a 60 blade would be better. Have to order.