• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl that can be seen through from one side but not the other

Annette Asberg

Hi
Today I'm standing infront of a new problem. I have a client that has a waiting room with a window looking into their back office. Now my client wants to cover the window with a vinyl that you can see out from the back office into the waitingroom but not the other way around.
Does anyone know any material for me to use?
I have tried perforated but it's not blocking the view for the visitors as expected.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can help, and I am local to you if you are interested. Do you know what hole size you used for the Perf? I think the only real option is to use a higher vinyl to hole ratio like an 80/20.

Pat Whatley

Not that it helps but I did some day care windows last year for a guy that held his cell phone camera right up against it and showed me the "too blurry to tell what in the hell I'm looking at" video and pitched a fit that you could still see through it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I tend to think, when the perf is needed for interior windows inside a building, it's not gonna work under all conditions. Too much light on this side, no.... too much light on the other side, no, it's late and no sun coming in from outside, so there's more light on the wrong side. Other than a wall with a one way window in it, I think you'll hafta explain to your customer, it's not gonna be perfect.

Ever see a bus at nighttime ?? You can see everything and everyone inside without any difficulty, when standing outside. Going to a smaller hole size will help, but it's not gonna eliminate the problem.

MikePro

one-way vision materials, such as perforated vinyl or black/chrome mirror window tint, requires light in the "front" and darkness behind. works great for exterior office windows, because daylight sunshine reflects/glares the light off the perforated image and the windows are usually tinted-dark to begin with, but at night the office lights are on inside and its dark outside and you can see everything inside clear as day.
...just like in those cheesy cop shows, where you see the interrogation/lineup room and someone flicks the light switch on in the observer-room behind the glass and boom.... the witness has been exposed!

I just noticed that I'm late to the party here, but for reference when people make a request for this: educate your client on what to expect, as they will most likely have the lights on in both rooms at the same time...thus defeating the purpose. I've made it "work" for some high school interior office windows, by applying an additional perforated vinyl layer on the inside of the glass, reducing the "true" perforated pattern down from the standard 30/70 or 40/60 to more of a 90/10 pattern & making it that much harder to see-through unless your really trying.

fresh

My suggestion in this scenario is to black out the window and install a surveillance camera.

as others have mentioned, there is no vinyl on the market that can change the laws of physics.

WrapMonkey

Production Manager
Hi
Today I'm standing infront of a new problem. I have a client that has a waiting room with a window looking into their back office. Now my client wants to cover the window with a vinyl that you can see out from the back office into the waitingroom but not the other way around.
Does anyone know any material for me to use?
I have tried perforated but it's not blocking the view for the visitors as expected.

Hello, We Just did a project like this. Window perf is not a Viable option due to when you have lights on in both rooms you can see through it regardless of the hole ratio. Option one is Mirror Window Tent "fake 2 way mirror" if the customer wants print on one side Dicuts applied to the Tint. or Print on Clear material with a frost effect over the whole window. You will be able to make out shapes but no details. Good luck.