• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl that works in laser printer

atekrick

I did an experiment with a print from a standard laser and was surprised at the results. My question is, does anyone know of a vinyl product that is resistant to the heat created by a office laser printer?

Here is way I ask. I had a request to make an outdoor sign for a short term event. I, like many in the trade, can not afford a large format printer at this time. I needed the print rather quickly, so I printed the logo on a standard piece of paper from a laser printer. It was a color print and it only needed to last a week, so i printed it, laminated it with calendard clear vinyl and applied it with double faced banner tape.

After the sign was used, I took the logo and placed it on the hood of my truck to see how long it would last. A week went by, no changes, two, three, a month, two months! After two months, I took the logo off of my hood and looked at it, no visible changes in the color!

Cold weather fell upon us and I decided to put it inside of my truck, on the dash facing up (as it was on the hood). It's been there since October and I still do not see any visible changes.

To overview, two months outdoors facing up, six months on the interior facing up, and still no visible change in the print. If I had the original and placed it next to the print, I may see a difference, but looking at it without the original, I see none.

So, to make a long story even longer, I am looking for a vinyl or digital print media that I can run through a laser printer without damaging the heat rollers or "drum". While I know that this will always be for short term projects, and I will still order my wholesale prints when needed, this method will work fine for short term and smaller applications. It's just a matter of convienence and it's always interesting to try out new methods.

I'm a third generation "sign painter" and have been working in the trade for over thirty years. I imagine some that are reading this may think that I am some poor old sign painter that can't afford a large format printer, but no,"I'm not a starving artist" and have done well in the trade. Paid my bills on time and always use the best materials for the job at hand

I'm honest with my customers and work hard to make sure that I keep them, which I do.

Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

Rick

Sign-Man Signs

Rick, I've wondered that myself for years. Hope you get a answer. I have done your laminate thing a few times with the same results. Just temporary but it works.

Custom_Grafx

Avery.

At least if it screws up and peels off, you know it won't stick to the rollers...

Nah seriously... who are you? There is no way that post is for real...

FatCat

I think you will find the physical properties of almost all adhesive backed vinyl, whether meant for cutting or printing will not allow you to do what you want it to do. I spent over 14 years in the offset printing world, much of which was around digital B&W and color copiers and related items. Though I've never tried it, I would imagine most vinyl would melt to the fuser drum the moment it touched it. Realize there is a LOT of heat generated by any laser printing device whether it is a desktop printer or a copier.

An alternative would be to buy regular adhesive backed laser compatible label stock, run it through your printer/copier and then laminate afterwards. If it is for short term applications (no more than a few months) then it should be fine.

However, I feel the BEST way to accomplish what you are looking to do is just sub your work out to one of the Merchant Members here, or find someone local. This way you're getting a professional, long-lasting product that won't come back to bite you when it fails.

Jillbeans

Yup just outsource prints.
That's what I do when I need them, which is really rare because I'm a sign painter too.
Easier than trial and error stuff.
There are some good merchant members here who can help you.
Welcome from PA.
Love.....Jill