• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl will not stick to Boat

cleanmywound

Here is the problem: The customers boat is 25yrs old, has not been waxed in years, and he wants a stripe of vinyl to cover a faded area. We cleaned the area with a degreaser and then acetone to remove any residue. Same method we have done for years on many boats. We tried a scrap piece to see if it was clean enough. We found that there was a powdery residue that was adhering to the adhesive side and then it wouldn't stick to the boat. We repeated the cleaning several times on the same area and also on another area with the same results. Boat owner said this "oxidizing" happens to all older boats. How do you get this off or what to use to get the vinyl to stick? We are using Oracal 751. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. I searched the archives and found nothing about oxidizing that was similar, only about wax not being fully removed. I am confidant that there isn't any wax left in the test area. Thanks again.

Wet sand and buff the gel coat. Better yet let an auto detailing shop do it. It will look great for a little while, but the chalking will come back. Painting is the only sure cure that I know of. Owner is right it happens to any gel coated fiberglass that is exposed to the elements as much as a boat.

artsnletters

Wet sand and buff the gel coat. Better yet let an auto detailing shop do it. It will look great for a little while, but the chalking will come back. Painting is the only sure cure that I know of. Owner is right it happens to any gel coated fiberglass that is exposed to the elements as much as a boat.
what he said...the chalking is the culprit. Just totally depends on how deep the chalking is. Sometimes it buffs out fine, sometimes not so much...
Tim

cleanmywound

Thanks for the help. I was hoping for an easier solution, but if it needs to be sanded and buffed or painted, might as well have it done right. I don't want that call saying it fell off. Thanks again. If anyone else has other options I would be interested.

ddubia

Since the boat is obviously not in pristine condition and the customer seems to simply want some vinyl on it I'd suggest cleaning it with comet cleanser. That will remove enough of the oxidation to allow the vinyl to stick. Done this a few times and it always worked for me.

It's the best solution I've found short of buffing with a compound to bring back the finish.

Sometimes they just want a sticker, not a new vehicle.

m giese

Leave it to the pro's, depends on material, ie gel-coat or paint, and if paint, what brand, some marine paints like awl products are not meant to be polished, and if it is that toasted, it's time for a trip to the paint shed. Either way, you need to get under the oxidation.

Gordy Saunders

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a quart of Penitrol. It is a fiberglass conditioner. Apply it as directed. The vinyl will stick just fine.

heyskull

I would leave the customer with some vinyl and get them to paint/clean the boat until the vinyl will stick to it.!
It seems a whole lotta fuss for something out of your control.
I would not give any guarantee for this job!
Obviously this customer is looking for a cheap cover up option and there isn't one.

SC

cleanmywound

Thanks for the help. Yes, the customer is looking for a cheap fix. I might try the Penitrol. Absolutely NO GUARANTEE! Thanks again, your help was appreciated.