• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl window design

Flame

I would only do it if you HAVE to. Looks much better in one piece, and you shouldn't be having problems with cutting 8'. I just cut 24' today no problem with my Graphtec (okay....so I screwed up the first try. The SECOND try went no problem. lol.).

multifarious

most cutting software will let you pre feed your cut, I do this on any long cuts it helps in case something isn't perfectly square. In addition, be aware of how the vinyl is feeding, no hangs nothing draggin no folds to cause a jam...just take your time, once it pre feeds correctly, you are set to cut

Ed

If I have a long cut:
I cut the front edge of my vinyl roll straight. (This is real easy with Oracal, since their backing paper is a grid.) Then, I align the vinyl with the teflon cutting strip on the plotter. Pretty much what Flame does, by the sounds of it.
&
I slow down the cutter from the usual setting. It prevents the vinyl from flicking up at the back quickly, which can cause errors.

That's about it really. I'll cut 5m (16ft) no probs, and 10m (32ft) if I'm feeling brave. heh.

The length you slice a design in half really depends on what size piece you can install on the window at once. (Are you installing by yourself, or with someone elses help?)

If you decide to install on your windows using the wet app. meth. - the application tape can be a little tricky to remove (esp. small letters where there is not much hold on the glass). Dampening the tape (once the vinyl is in the correct position) and leaving it for a minute or so will soften the app. tapes glue, making it easier to remove.

Oh! And you guys forgot the most important tool! The trusty squeegee! :p