• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question vinyl won't stick

RICHARD SIMMONS

Hello Group! I recently had to install printed vinyl on a painted wall, but the vinyl won't stick. Apparently it is a painting issue, since I have done other installations on walls without problem. Some time ago I had the same problem adhering vinyl to plywood. Since the part was small, I painted it with a 3M Primer 94 sealer and solved the problem. But in the case of the wall, should I paint the entire wall with 3M Primer 94 sealant ?? Or maybe use another type of sealant for the entire wall? I appreciate your comments !!

fine point

If that's the entire wall covering, like wall mural, I would let the paint air-out for a few weeks (if you have the luxury).
If not, I would paint it with the sealer.
I am sure you know and have been told that the paint needs to be air-out at least a few weeks, longer in winter months. Also, it's super unpredictable these days with No-VOC and Low-VOC paint. Both are not good for vinyl adhesion.
I would let it air-out, then try a small portion to see if it sticks.

Good luck!

MikePro

when was the wall painted prior to your installation?
what kind of paint?
got pics?

chances are....as in most cases of these types of failures, is that either the paint hadn't fully dried yet or they used a paint with a silicone additive for "stain resistance" which pretty much repells everything. That's why you'll hear a lot of references to testing the surface adhesion prior to committing to application of your product. easier to screw up a 2-inch tab of vinyl, rather than spend half a day ruining a graphic & scratching your head.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would be good to know what vinyl you're using and if it's digitally printed or not and if so, was it laminated ?? Also, what kinda paint was used and how long ago was it painted ??

25 years ago, you could just go off willy-nilly and paint or vinyl a wall til your heart's content, but nowadays, ya hafta do your homework first.

RICHARD SIMMONS

If that's the entire wall covering, like wall mural, I would let the paint air-out for a few weeks (if you have the luxury).
If not, I would paint it with the sealer.
I am sure you know and have been told that the paint needs to be air-out at least a few weeks, longer in winter months. Also, it's super unpredictable these days with No-VOC and Low-VOC paint. Both are not good for vinyl adhesion.
I would let it air-out, then try a small portion to see if it sticks.

Good luck!
Thanks !! The wall was painted aprox. in February, so it has more than time to be dry ! I'm trying to apply only a partial part of the wall

RICHARD SIMMONS

when was the wall painted prior to your installation?
what kind of paint?
got pics?

chances are....as in most cases of these types of failures, is that either the paint hadn't fully dried yet or they used a paint with a silicone additive for "stain resistance" which pretty much repells everything. That's why you'll hear a lot of references to testing the surface adhesion prior to committing to application of your product. easier to screw up a 2-inch tab of vinyl, rather than spend half a day ruining a graphic & scratching your head.
Tha paint is tottaly dry. It was painted on February. Ithink it's the type of paint. Don't know which one. The masking teipe does not even adhere

netsol

many of the washable paints have a very high silicon content.
nothing sticks to them

happened to me with a sign we were reusing when we moved into our new warehouse

2B

you have to prep the wall differently.

you can also paint the area with new paint

scuffing the paint surface helps.
also using a high tack adhesive.

Medina Signs

Old Member
had a similar problem in the past -

we were asked to fix a large wall decal at a "Borders" - I think - they were large lam/printed sections over the coffee shop.

as it turns out - I found that the paint had an "eggshell" finish and that it is not particularly vinyl receptive.

So in short the walls were re-painted "non-eggshell" and since the graphics covered the entire wall the paint was not an issue. Vinyl stuck, we were heroes, end of story... They stuck until people quit reading and the store closed down.

It's the "Eggshell"

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1193340O/install-prep-for-low-voc-painted-walls.pdf

Low VOC paint might have something to do with it. I've attached a link there with info.

Sometimes we just chuck a small bit of our wall vinyl of choice (usually Avery 2611 for us) and watch for failure before we do the install, if we have some time before the install date. There are test kits but we haven't used them much.

Plywood is interesting - I've had plywood and wood(ish) stuff fail if the BACK of it isn't sealed as well as the front. It seems that moisture can get straight through it? Not sure. We paint all of it if we're going straight on plywood, but generally suggest a different substrate if possible, or high tack. It's a pain.

Another question though: is it contour cut? Sometimes our edges curl with our wall vinyl.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If the masking tape won't hold up the graphics, it's the paint. You can try cleaning it with diluted alcohol multiple times but you run the risk of changing the sheen of the paint. Scuffing the wall with a scotch bright pad or sandpaper helps as well. All the solutions are time-consuming so I usually try and discuss this or find out during the bid stage. They add so many different additives to the low VOC paints these days that it is a crapshoot. Zinser and Kills are the recommended paints.

RICHARD SIMMONS

If the masking tape won't hold up the graphics, it's the paint. You can try cleaning it with diluted alcohol multiple times but you run the risk of changing the sheen of the paint. Scuffing the wall with a scotch bright pad or sandpaper helps as well. All the solutions are time-consuming so I usually try and discuss this or find out during the bid stage. They add so many different additives to the low VOC paints these days that it is a crapshoot. Zinser and Kills are the recommended paints.
Thanks my friend ! It happens that the vinyl I'm going to install are letters (very much!) and if I clean the wall or use sandpaper, Its going to be a difference in color between the letters, so I will talk with my customer and ask him to re-paint with some kind of sealer. Thank you for your support !! Have a nice day !

RICHARD SIMMONS

Hello colleagues ! I just finished installing the vinyl I was talking about. I cleaned the wall with alcohol and water solution, 2 times, allowing time for each other to dry. Some paint came off, but nothing major. Then I did some little tests and voila, it worked !! Thanks to colleagues who pointed out the best way to handle this problem. I recommend it !! I attach some photos
upload_2020-9-3_12-49-38.png

upload_2020-9-3_12-51-31.png
upload_2020-9-3_12-49-38.png upload_2020-9-3_12-51-31.png

upload_2020-9-3_12-53-1.png

upload_2020-9-3_12-54-5.png

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Hello colleagues ! I just finished installing the vinyl I was talking about. I cleaned the wall with alcohol and water solution, 2 times, allowing time for each other to dry. Some paint came off, but nothing major. Then I did some little tests and voila, it worked !! Thanks to colleagues who pointed out the best way to handle this problem. I recommend it !! I attach some photos

These look great! And may I say, smart choice to colour-match the top of Canada instead of weed it - I say this from experience, as we did a world map on a car once o_O

What vinyl did you use for this install?

RICHARD SIMMONS

These look great! And may I say, smart choice to colour-match the top of Canada instead of weed it - I say this from experience, as we did a world map on a car once o_O

What vinyl did you use for this install?

Well, I´m not sure but I think is from China. The supplier puts his name on the box and on the back of the vinyl. Have had a good experience with it !!

lora

Well, I´m not sure but I think is from China. The supplier puts his name on the box and on the back of the vinyl. Have had a good experience with it !!
Can you please share the supplier from China? I am looking to try some wall film from China, but can't find a trusted supplier.
Thanks

RICHARD SIMMONS

Can you please share the supplier from China? I am looking to try some wall film from China, but can't find a trusted supplier.
Thanks
As mentioned before, the name that is printed in the box and in the back of the vinyl, is the name of the LOCAL SUPPLIER in Panamá. Don't know the name of the manufacturer. Sorry !!