• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Wrap/Install Training- Advise needed?

coastguy111

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in the vinyl graphic wrap(Vehicle Wraps to be more specific) for sometime now. I have done my due diligence researching the industry as a whole, and have decided that its something I want to pursue. My background is in Marketing(online/offline) and sales, so my main focus getting started is learning through hands on training.

I initially thought 3M being that they are very well known. I decided that I would sign up for their 3 day Preferred Installation training at their headquarters in St.Paul. So far I have only spoken with one of their trainers who went over what the 3 days would entail, and the benefits(24/7 customer service, ongoing help as needed, etc) of getting the training directly through them instead of going with one of their affiliates. So I was "on board" after speaking with him, and just needed to contact a person at their headquarters as instructed by the trainer I spoke with.

Well its been over a month, And I have not been able to reach this person. I get her voicemail every time, leave a message, but have never received a call back. I have tried calling the trainer back, got his voicemail and left a message. I know they must be busy, but I had clearly indicated that I was ready to send my money($1500 covers the 3 day training,two meals a day, and the ongoing support after leaving) to reserve my place at the next training class coming up.

Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe I haven't done enough research, and I would be better off going another route? Thats why I am here looking for advice.

My goal is to get started as an independent contractor installer. Starting small, contacting companies that do all aspects of the job except the install, which they outsource to contractors. More then likely having another installer more experienced then I, help me in the beginning(even if it means paying him more, if not all, then myself) so that I can deliver a finished product that the customer is extremely happy with. Plus building my book of business and reputation.
Once comfortable doing full wraps on my own, I would still utilize any work from companies that outsource installations. But also start generating business through my own marketing and sales. Outsourcing the Graphic Design, Print, cutting and laminating. I will however start learning how to do the Graphic design myself to save money(learning Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator unless their is a more preferred choice of software), and bring on a Part-Time 1099 employee that I will would train myself(probably have them sign a non-compete contract if thats legal).

So, please, any advice, specifically with what route i should go for training? And any thoughts on my business plan....Even if its negative I can take it, and would actually appreciate it as opposed to the opposite. My long term goal would be to stay somewhat small,and get to a point where I am able to do the marketing, Sales, Design,and invest into the needed Printer/plotter/cutter/laminate. I would then use a tool like wrappermapper to outsource the install for jobs that are further away then I would like to travel. And Have one or two employees that can do closer installs, and train them on the printer/cutter/etc. I would also look into other niches where their is a demand for(Ex.consumers wanting to change their vehicle color, any other related wraps, Walls, floors, etc).

Ok, I will shut-up now so that I can get your much appreciated feed-back?

Thanks,
coastguy

HulkSmash

Cassandra Nelson? Yeah she's hard to get a hold of. Make sure you email stating you want a response, and typically that works.

player

Have you ever used any vinyl before? It takes a lot of time to get to the point of being able to do wraps.
Vinyl requires more than a course imo. You might really hate doing wraps. I bought my first vinyl cutter in !991. I won't do wraps, even though I have 20+ years experience with vinyl. Crawling around cars futzing with vinyl is not my thing.

Why not sell wraps, and hire the talent to do the work, with you as an assistant so you get paid for hands on training.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
You could spend 3 days and couple grand ...or
first try ordering a few hundred dollars worth of vinyl, a basic wrap tools kit, and spend a few days (free) watching some videos or even $99 for a year of high quality, well organized videos at the Wrap Institute and practice on your own car in the different parts getting to know how the vinyl feels under your squeegee etc. Once you have squeegee'd a few hundred square feet of vinyl onto different parts of the vehicle, you'll get a feel for it and the realization of how easy they make it look on video compared to what you can do.

THEN decide if you want to take a class. Save the money and start getting a feel for it with videos. HECK, if you're lucky maybe a local sign shop will give you botched graphics to practice with. (if they're not afraid of you becoming their competition)

coastguy111

Your very last sentence("Why not sell wraps, and hire the talent to do the work, with you as an assistant so you get paid for hands on training".) is actually what I have had in mind. But I believe that getting the training and doing the work(small jobs starting out with the help of someone more qualified then I) in the beginning stages is very important to me. With my background being in Marketing and Sales, getting to the point where I can focus on lead generation and closing deals, while overseeing local installs(have one or two 1099 employees), and using certified installers anywhere else is my goal!
Also implementing online marketing services, both for lead gen. and to have an income source that is on a monthly basis I hope to implement as well!
I have actually used vinyl before. Not into great depths, but my brother is an independent contractor vinyl installer who was originally trained on the job, and has showed me some hands on stuff!

Have you ever used any vinyl before? It takes a lot of time to get to the point of being able to do wraps.
Vinyl requires more than a course imo. You might really hate doing wraps. I bought my first vinyl cutter in !991. I won't do wraps, even though I have 20+ years experience with vinyl. Crawling around cars futzing with vinyl is not my thing.

Why not sell wraps, and hire the talent to do the work, with you as an assistant so you get paid for hands on training.