• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Wrinkling While Printing

JLD984

Having a lot of trouble with vinyl not sitting flat between the printer rollers/clamps in cold weather. I'll often have a heater going on the roll as it goes through but it's the middle of winter at the moment here so that's not doing much and it takes forever to heat the large room the printer is in. Does anybody have any other suggestions? It's mainly with polymeric vinyl and canvas. Thanks.

2B

What machine are you using?
How cold is it in the print room?
What is the heat setting on the machine?
How long do you let it in the printer before it starts printing?

sounds like there is too much heat, that is the normal cause for curling on media

goforit14

Lower the heat settings on my mutoh i use 40 40 50. the max settings should only be used for banner materials thick substrates. if make sure the media is handled with care if it comes with small wrinkles it will be hard to install later on, you can use a heat gun on low settings to sometimes get the wrinkle off. if you turn down the heater in your machine make sure to let the print dry a bit longer before cutting just to prevent ink smearing, regards from Utah its the opposite here we hit 100 f

JLD984

It's not the edges curling that's the problem, it's the vinyl rippling between the pinch rollers due to the cold. When the room is warm it's fine but as soon as it gets cold that starts happening. Never a problem over summer. Roland SP540V is the printer.

wmcard34

I recently had this same issue.
Here is what worked for me.
Raise the Printhead Height to High and turn the Vacuum up to 100%.
Everything printed great after that.
Hope that helps you.