• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl zapper review

Jackflush

Gorgor
I am purchasing the mbx vinyl zapper. I've got 50 plus trucks to remove old premium vinyl. The old stuff is baked and cracked, and I dont know how long each truck will take. I have done them with elbow grease at 1 and a half hours. Does the zapper do everything it claims to do. It claims that it doesnt heat up. According to the video and their website the tools a miracle. What do ya'll think?
:thankyou:

gabagoo

I am purchasing the mbx vinyl zapper. I've got 50 plus trucks to remove old premium vinyl. The old stuff is baked and cracked, and I dont know how long each truck will take. I have done them with elbow grease at 1 and a half hours. Does the zapper do everything it claims to do. It claims that it doesnt heat up. According to the video and their website the tools a miracle. What do ya'll think?
:thankyou:

for me it is the tool of last resort. It is not always the fastest and makes a nice mess. If I were to use it for what you are doing I would use it mainly to remove the actual vinyl and then use rapid remover for the adhesive afterwards, as I feel that would be faster.

I use heat guns and a steamer before pulling out the zapper

Brandon708

Most people don't know this. I found that if you spray rapid remover on the top of vinyl and let it sit it will breakdown the adheasive behind the vinyl, making it easier to remove.

Letterbox Mike

Love ours, wouldn't touch a large removal job without it. Once you get the hang of it it removes the vinyl and adhesive in almost no time flat. It does make a mess, like tons of pencil eraser shavings, but it's still easier to clean that up than it is to scrape vinyl. It's a worthwhile investment for sure.

CheapVehicleWrap

Well worth having. I have 2 pneumatics. 1 snap-on and a wirth. They're made move for lettering or stripes rather than complete sheets. A mes, yes. The wheels aren't cheap either and someone who doesn't know better will eat a wheel right up. For 50 trucks, bury the cost and get one so you have it.

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

Wel worth having. I have 2 pneumatics. 1 snap-on and a wirth. They're made move for lettering or stripes rather than complete sheets. A mes, yes. The wheels aren't cheap either and someone who doesn't know better will eat a wheel right up. For 50 trucks, bury the cost and get one so you have it.

I have the Snap-On pneumatic and love it. I have used the electric versions and dislike them as they tend to get very hot. The pneumatic versions are definitely worth the investment IMHO. If you look around, you can find better prices on the wheels. I recently purchased 4 replacement wheels & I think I paid around $23.00 each from an auto paint supply.

TheSnowman

I haven't ever used mine on a vehicle, but I have used it on old signs that I had to strip letters off of before. I don't know if others have this same problem, but it always leaves a ghost around the edges of where the old letters were for me. You can tell where the wheel rubbed on the substrate where the letter wasn't. Maybe there is something about a clear coat on a car that is different...but that's always been my issue.

Great, amazing tool though. It's great for any removal.

Jackflush

Gorgor
Yes. I love 'em. just don't use it on fiberglass. It will turn the paint yellow.
These truck are painted fiberglass... Problem?

Oh boy back to the drawing board... The zapper was looking to be the icing on this cake.

CheapVehicleWrap

Painted fiberglass is not a fiberglass topped surface. So it would depend on the paint. Not worth discounting just yet (for lack of a better term).

JimmyG

I have electric mbx zapper....I LUV it...50 trucks like Jackflush states, no problem, have extra wheels on hand...
fiberglass gel coat, works fine tho gotta use a light touch not to burn (i.e turned yellow)...painted fiberglass, use a light touch and it will work...yeah depends on the paint, if automotive paint it really shouldn't be a problem...ya have to use a light touch with the zapper and do the motions as the mfg. recommends....the 5/8 3M wheels for stripes, forget it on large decal removes...

B-RAD Graphics

off topic a little...BIG ERASER..anybody have one?...I freakin hate that thing talk about a mess!!! It smears everything..UGGG!. Always wondered how well the Zapper works...saw it demonstrated at a show...but I know that relective vinyl was not old..so yeah it worked!! :noway:

AUTO-FX

have big eraser, used once. sits on shelf now. 3m wheel easiest to use, less $ if you already have pnuematic die grinder. 3m style needs high speed so electric drills not always fast enough. anyway you look at it though , it's a lousy job. i prefer to do it chemically if i can find the right product for the situation.

SignosaurusRex

off topic a little...BIG ERASER..anybody have one?...I freakin hate that thing talk about a mess!!! It smears everything..UGGG!. Always wondered how well the Zapper works...saw it demonstrated at a show...but I know that relective vinyl was not old..so yeah it worked!! :noway:

As I mentioned, I have the Snap-On Pneumatic and It works wonders on everything including old reflectives. Mine actually get considerable use on a regular basis and I have never been let down by it's performance.

Jackflush

Gorgor
Thank you all for your posts. Invaluable information, and I appreciate it. I've decided its my best choice for this job. My hope is I can rip through 2 trucks an hour on the removal. That is what I'm leaning toward in my bid. I should make some more calls because I'm still a little shaky on what to charge them.

Mosh

I use the 3M in our air drill. If it were me I would find someone with a hottsie pressure washer and have them blast the old cracked vinyl off. Done that a few times, it worked well.