• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl????

JohnBFryJr

I work in a cut, weed and tape shop. We use Avery 700, Avery 1200, and 3M reflective control tac when we feel rich. I'll stripe vehicles for the plants but I don't do wraps of any kind.

We plan to buy an HP 315 after the show and I'm trying to price out what vinyl will cost and what to buy. I plan to ask the sales person but who is to say they won't try to sell me the expensive stuff for me to learn on and ruin. I'm just looking for a starting point. I would prefer to figure it out now so I don't have to do the shotgun approach and end up with crappy vinyl.

Also....We just purchased a Summa D140. Man is that a sweet cutter. Our previous cutter was limited to 24" so we obviously do more little signs than large ones. What size vinyl do you think we should start with?

I probably regret this post later when I re-read it. Thanks in advance.

shoresigns

We use Avery for most of our vinyls, plus a bit of 3M and Oracal. Those are generally considered the "big 3" brands - stick with them for anything that isn't temporary and you'll be fine. Not to say you'll never have issues, but we see it as far less risky to just stick with the established brands.

Our primary vinyls are Avery 2923EZ for medium-long term flat signs, Avery 1005EZRS for long term signs and vehicle decals/wraps, and Avery 2611 for wall murals. We also use 2611 for unlaminated foamcore/coroplast signs as it's thicker than other vinyls and applies well through a laminator when high ink coverage would otherwise make the vinyl wrinkle after a foot or two.

AKwrapguy

If your going to look at getting into wraps, check out some of the classes from 3m, Avery and Orafol. They all have intro classes that will give you hands on with their digital print materials as well as other wrap materials and laminates

While there are some positives and negatives for all material, you have might have to spend a little to find the one that works for you and your clients.

For what it's worth I enjoy working with the 3m IJ180 series and the Orafol is nice as well. Most distributors can/will give you a small sample roll if you ask nicely.

printhog

Don't bother trying to learn on cheap material. You'll get frustrated and angry. The top shelf stuff is the way to start. Yes it's $$$, but you'll gain confidence and be productive faster. There's no educational value in cheap 3 mil pressure sensitive vinyls that won't conform or snap off.

Wrapping Is about learning how to form the film to the complex curves and handle the big sheets without disaster setting in.

its only a freaking sign!

PixelGrafix

check out instantonemedia.com - they are an advertiser on this site - we use their vinyl for most our application. their prices are good and product good. great customer service.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Hey JohnB

I understand that you are looking at or have purchased a HP315. However after reading and re-reading your post I'm a little unclear of your overall question.

You are looking for advise on what type of vinyl to use but for what use?

Different uses require different vinyls. What are you looking to do? Signs, wraps.....????
Indoor or outdoor? Long term or short?