• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Virus / Rogue Anti virus

mrmoto95

Well my computer got a virus, took it in to have it taken care of. They removed the virus and some other things but now I have whats called
" Defense Center " program on my computer. I did a google search on it and from what I find that is a Rogue Antivirus and most likely the cause of my problems to begin with. Took it back and the place says that i do not have a virus. My question is has anyone else dealt with this thing, and how do I get it off. Even though my antivirus is working and says all is good I do not feel very good about doing my invoicing and banking and such or internet purchasing while this thing is there. Anyone have any ideas?

Graphics2u

Download and run a scan wikth Malwarebytes and see what it finds. I recently had one though that it didn't find. Microsoft Security Essentials would find it but not remove it. Had to use a program called TDSSKiller. It's not the right thing for everything though so read up on it.

choucove

Download and run a scan wikth Malwarebytes and see what it finds.

I agree, this would be my first thought, but you may run into difficulties as the Defense Center program may disable Malwarebytes from detecting it as a threat. Either way, I would recommend using the Add/Remove Wizard to uninstall the Defense Center program and reinstall a more well-known and respected antivirus program such as Avast!, AVG, or Kaspersky.

Team Valhalla

+1 for Malwarebytes!

I'm not a computer wiz, but it does work well. It was suggested to me to download the antivirus software, unhook from the internet, turn off the computer and restart in Safe Mode. Run the program and then reboot. Hook up to the internet again and then check for updates for Malware. If there are any, repeat the above process.

Sp

OldPaint

ive been using IE 8 for a while now, and find its really good about not letting crap in.
only thing i dont like about it, no spell check.

mrmoto95

I am running Kaspersky it says I have no threats, but that defense center is still on there. Do you think restart in safe mode use the add/remove programs and then boot back up and run a scan through Kaspersky would help or is that Malwarebytes better? Also that Defense center comes up in the list in add/remove programs but I cannot find it in my program files on C drive.

choucove

While Kaspersky is a great antivirus program, it is not always a catch-all for everything. It is designed for viruses, but many times fake antivirus applications are actually malware, which your antivirus program will not pick up on. This is the case for most antivirus programs actually. I've worked on numerous computers that have been infected by the Smitfraud/Virtumonde variant of virus that were running up-to-date versions of McAfee, Norton, and AVG which all reported clean systems. In the end, it was Malwarebytes that had to recognize the problem and remove it. If the Defense Center is showing up in your Add/Remove Programs wizard, then try and remove it that way. If the removal is successful, then installing Malwarebytes and performing a scan is still suggested just in case.