• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ-1204 Ink Smart Card, Chip fix

FatCat

i discovered a replacement for ink cards for the valujet 1204 this actually plugs into the machine so your bulk ink system always can reset without the using any chips. Wanted to know if anyone else knows about this.

http://www.giantmedia.us/easyreset-for-mutoh-valuejet-4-colors.html

Been running bulk inks for over 2 years so I'm going to part with a dirty little Mutoh secret in regards to the 1204/1304/1604/1614...

If you are running bulk carts that take the chip inserts and are running older firmware you only need the cards to START your machine. Once it goes through startup, you can pull the cards, set them aside and you won't need to insert the cards again until you turn off your machine and need to turn it back on. Both my 1204 and 1604 are started up with cards, then I remove the cards, set them aside and don't use them until the next morning when I turn them back on again.

You're welcome.

FatCat

I think mine is on 1.17. Won't do any harm to try it. While your machine is on and sitting idle (not printing or processing) yank a card out and see if it beeps. If it does, you know, if it don't you're good. :smile:

tint_zone

"I just saved alot of money by switching to fatcat" lol im gonna try this in when i get back in office

premiercolour

Merchant Member
A friendly reminder.

We do carry replacement mutoh smart cards. Type 1 cards for all smart cards except 1324, 1624 and 1638. Type 2 cards for 1324, 1624 and 1638 exclusively.

tint_zone

I think mine is on 1.17. Won't do any harm to try it. While your machine is on and sitting idle (not printing or processing) yank a card out and see if it beeps. If it does, you know, if it don't you're good. :smile:

im running 1.18 and it works

teamrolex

alrighy I will give it a go for the sake of version 1.20 people out there.
haha
But the card is attached to the cartridge and slotted inside the machine.
How to pull it out? ? Do you attach a tape extend to outside the slot to pull ??

FatCat

FatCat

Just wanted to re-visit this thread for clarification as I've been getting a PM about once a week on this topic;

First, I merely showed the link for Lava Inks to show the cartridge type. I do NOT use Lava inks. FWIW - these carts are the type I use on my 1204 and I would also suggest these for the 1304.

Here is the type I use for my 1604: http://mutohbulksystem.com (Shop around I got mine for less than $500)
With the NITE system the big tanks sit on top of the printer holding 1 liter each, there are lines going down to the carts which have adjustable floats in them. I feel this system is too large for a 1204 or 1304 as there is no where to place it on the printer. However, this is the perfect system for a big printer that goes through a lot of ink.

As for inks, I have only been using JetBest inks in both my 1204 and 1604. I have used them long enough to feel confident in recommending them for Mutoh VJ printers like the 1204/1304/1604 and 1614. They have performed perfectly, slightly better reds, slightly more smell to them. Otherwise, I used the same profiles in my Wasatch RIP software as I did with OEM ink carts and noticed no changes. I can NOT say how they perform in the newer VJ printers that use a slightly different head, and as such you may want to talk to JetBest or other users before assuming they will work fine.

OEM Mutoh 220ml = $70 X 4 = $280 for 880ml
OEM Mutoh 440ml = $130 X 4 = $490 for 1760ml

JetBest 1000ml = $89 X 4 (plus $15 shipping) = $371 for 4000ml of ink!!!

*Do the math, even if you only use 1 set of 220ml carts per month, you will pay for your bulk system in just a couple months. If you use more, you save more.

Best wishes!

devahoch

SIGN MAKING COMPANY
Very very good Ideal!

Been running bulk inks for over 2 years so I'm going to part with a dirty little Mutoh secret in regards to the 1204/1304/1604/1614...

If you are running bulk carts that take the chip inserts and are running older firmware you only need the cards to START your machine. Once it goes through startup, you can pull the cards, set them aside and you won't need to insert the cards again until you turn off your machine and need to turn it back on. Both my 1204 and 1604 are started up with cards, then I remove the cards, set them aside and don't use them until the next morning when I turn them back on again.

You're welcome.
Thanks for very usefull idea. You are genius.:thumb:

MagnetStew

I am going to second what Fatcat said. We are using the same bulk system from Nite that he is and I am kicking myself for not switching to it sooner. I will say that if you purchase it directly from Nite you will get a much better deal than buying it from a distributor here in the US/Canada. The shipping will be horrendous but it will still be cheaper.

Flame

Lava ink is still around? I almost brought a lawsuit against them. Their disgracefully poor quality inks almost cost me my business. Every job I printed got returned to me, cost me a head, pump, lines etc. Nothing against guys going bulk, but you can bet I'll always remember the time I tried Lava inks.

mnapuran

Just wanted to re-visit this thread for clarification as I've been getting a PM about once a week on this topic;

First, I merely showed the link for Lava Inks to show the cartridge type. I do NOT use Lava inks. FWIW - these carts are the type I use on my 1204 and I would also suggest these for the 1304.

Here is the type I use for my 1604: http://mutohbulksystem.com (Shop around I got mine for less than $500)
With the NITE system the big tanks sit on top of the printer holding 1 liter each, there are lines going down to the carts which have adjustable floats in them. I feel this system is too large for a 1204 or 1304 as there is no where to place it on the printer. However, this is the perfect system for a big printer that goes through a lot of ink.

As for inks, I have only been using JetBest inks in both my 1204 and 1604. I have used them long enough to feel confident in recommending them for Mutoh VJ printers like the 1204/1304/1604 and 1614. They have performed perfectly, slightly better reds, slightly more smell to them. Otherwise, I used the same profiles in my Wasatch RIP software as I did with OEM ink carts and noticed no changes. I can NOT say how they perform in the newer VJ printers that use a slightly different head, and as such you may want to talk to JetBest or other users before assuming they will work fine.

OEM Mutoh 220ml = $70 X 4 = $280 for 880ml
OEM Mutoh 440ml = $130 X 4 = $490 for 1760ml

JetBest 1000ml = $89 X 4 (plus $15 shipping) = $371 for 4000ml of ink!!!

*Do the math, even if you only use 1 set of 220ml carts per month, you will pay for your bulk system in just a couple months. If you use more, you save more.

Best wishes!

$950 now? Wow! Can't seem to find 1304 compatible smart cards these days either.