• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ-1204 "Not Original Ink" on the printer display

Compilla

I got this morning,

Turn the printer ON and I got "KCYM" Not original!!
Printer was working fine yesterday, cartridges are half full.
Using Original Mutoh Inks.
Current firmware on Printer: 1.15

I put a new set an it works,

What would cause that error ? And How to solve it without losing my inks ?

Any help would be appreciated....

MrKoob

Damaged SmartCards perhaps? Electrostatic cans sometimes mess with them. Have you had any power spikes? I know the Midwest was hit with a line of storms yesterday.

Robert M

Smart cards

call your dealer and tell him you need a new set of smart cards, trace around the old ones with a pen so you can get them back in the right place

gnemmas

It happened once here I just call the distributor for replacement of "bad cartridge". That teaches Mutoh it will cost them $$$ for some dumb chips.

kirkbedtelyon

Did you upgrade to V 1.15 recently?

Just wondering if you remembered to removed the ink carts before upgrading the firmware. Also, did you remember to upgrade the sub controller first then the firmware.

I found these suggestions on the Sign Warehouse support site but surprisingly not on Mutoh's site.

I have no idea if not following these suggestions could cause your issue but it sounds possible. Especially not removing the ink carts prior to firmware update.

Kirk

Compilla

After reloading the Firmware, problem still persist.

Mutoh is replacing my Inks !!

Thanks to all for your help on this !:signs101:

Ken1f

Mine did it today. I was printing a couple 8 ft. banners and wanted to know about how much ink it would use so before printing I checked the ink levels. After both were done I rechecked and all 4 colors were down a little but not much so I went on to other things. A little while later I noticed the power button was flashing and guess what? "KCYM not original ink" was on the display. Checked the manual and is says to replace the cartridges with original inks. Not wanting to waste what is just a little under half in each cart. I tried removing and replacing but got the same message. Figuring that maybe it might need to reboot the system I tried turning everything off, waiting a few then turning all back on again.....same message. Now it gets even better, figuring I've had enough I'll just turn everything off and go home for the rest of the weekend. Printer says "power off" on the screen but doesn't go off. Saturday afternoon and nobody to call, guess I'll leave it on and wait for monday morning to call Mutoh.

Flame

I just got a Valuejet and got that message already. I turned it off and reloaded my cartridges, and it worked fine.

Weird.

But it ended up working out for me. I always keep 2 extra sets of cartridges around though.... and for those who don't, it might be a smart thing to do. It'd stink to be stuck down with no ink. Atleast it would for me.

:cool:

Ken1f

Printers back up and running. Called my supplier Monday, he called me back on Tuesday morning and told me that Mutoh has been having problems with the smart chips on the cartridges. I pulled them out and replaced them with new and all's well again. They want the bad cartridges back and are replacing them with new.....works for me.
Thanks Matt.

Ken

waximoff

same thing happened to me. The weird thing is - mine only said "cmy not original". I called sign-warehouse tech support and the tech sent me all new inks to replace the spent ones! no sooner than I hung up, my "k" was not original.:Oops:. I had back ups to use till my new ones came but no new black. so i pulled out the black and put it back in...it worked!

I dont know what caused it, tech said static, so i jumped online and ordered a anti-static mat from uline.

gnemmas

Seems the "smart chips" is too smart for it's own good. Let's not bother to replacing the chips, why should we? Have extra cartridges on hand, send those "bad" cartridges back as defective.
If they have to eat enough "defects", they might revise the firmware to dumb down the chip reader.