• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ-1604 SubTankLo Error

BrendanK

I have a ValueJet 1604 which is about 13 months from new. An error message has been appearing occasionally, but now more than before: E122 Err SubTankLo Y. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I've only stumbled upon this forum recently and think it is an excellent resource.

BrendanK

Yes Compilla, this thread was relevant. I checked the Hidden Menu, as shown by MacDaddy and all of the valves were on.

I investigated further and removed the pipe from the yellow sub tank at the print head (when the machine was powered off) and the ink disappeared back along the tube (I guess into the sub tank?) and the yellow line is now clear with no ink. I re started the 1604 and the SubTankLo message is gone, but the yellow ink supply line is now empty.

I read in some other thread about using a syringe to draw ink into the system. Could this be useful? . . . and if so, where should I apply the vacuum?

PS As a point of information, the dealer here in Ireland from whom I purchased the machine has been liquidated - I have contacted another Mutoh dealer, who have sent me a service kit - There is no official Mutoh Tech person here in this country (that I can find anyway), but I am waiting on a 'wide format' tech person to have a look at the machine, when he has time - hopefully soon!

jiarby

We buy syringes at a local R/C hobby shop. They use them for priming fuel lines on model airplanes.

BrendanK

Following your advice, Jiarby, I used the syringe but because the line is forked and there are two yellow dampers, I have been able to pull the ink to the head just above the dampers. Is this enough? or do I need fill the last 8 to 10cm of pipe. Will that remaining air in the system cause problems?
Also, does anyone know if a more detailed manual is available (than the user manual) for the VJ-1604 to download, for sale, or whatever.

BrendanK

A short update on the Mutoh SubTankLo error. There is a link at the top of this post to a thread that shows how to "exercise the valves". I went back to this again and noticed that will all valves were set to on, that when I checked each one, turning it on and off, I could hear a clear clicking sound. However re the yellow, there was no sound. I have now bypassed this valve and used a syringe, as suggested earlier by Jiarby, to fill the system close to the print head. I used a light cleaning and the pump filled the remainder of the system.

I haven't used the machine yet, but there are no warning messages, and I expect it will print. I'm not sure yet what the down side might be to having this valve removed. I will revert back later.

BrendanK

For those interested, the Mutoh did print with the valve removed, but there appeared to be lot of yellow going into the waste container. It was also dribbling a bit, mostly outside of the print area. Anyway, I used some alcohol to clean the valve. I used a plastic coated paperclip to work the valve piston back and forth and then put it back on. I checked it again, as mentioned in the previous post, and the good news is that it's working! So hopefully, it will continue going for a while. I will order a spare valve later today, just in case. This unit appears to be identical on each of the four colours.

randya

Without this valve the subtank will overfill and the head will overpressurize and ink will drip from head.

The valves are all identical

henryp

I have seen this intermittent problem (valve not opening) and most of the time it is caused by a loose connection between the 2-way valve and the printer. What I do is I remove the valve's female connectors from their plastic housing, re-clamp them so that the male connector would make a snug fit when inserted ensuring a good contact. Try this before deciding to replace the valve.

BrendanK

Thanks for this info. And the printer has continued to work with with the old valve.

Henryp, I will keep these connector issues in mind. To check if it was the wiring or the valve was at fault, I turned off the machine and switched the wires going to the valves on subtanks 1 and 4. I then turned it on again and and did the exercise outlined in the second post above. But yes, there appears to be plenty of small wires and connectors, but I really hope I don't have to go there!

Thanks again to all for help in solving this issue. Much Appreciated. Brendan

leerees

I have seen this intermittent problem (valve not opening) and most of the time it is caused by a loose connection between the 2-way valve and the printer. What I do is I remove the valve's female connectors from their plastic housing, re-clamp them so that the male connector would make a snug fit when inserted ensuring a good contact. Try this before deciding to replace the valve.

can you explain in more detail, where excatly is the valve located? Are you talking about the black valves at the back of the machine just before the sub tank?

leerees

My machine is doing this again, try to print SUBTANK REFILL, leave it standing for a few hours and E122 Err SubTankLo M

At the back of the machine there is no ink in the tube leading to the black (valve?) just before the subtank, however there is ink running down the tube leading to the head.

I've tried exercising the vales on every tank, they all tick when i turn them off and on.

Any ideas?

leerees

ok i managed to sort it. i removed the pipe just before the valve, ink started to flow and once it was nearing the end i reattatched it. switched machine back on, did a clean and then it printed fine.