• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1604 / VJ 1614 print head difference?

Panett Signs

I ordered a print head for my 1604.
The print head came looking very similiar, but the manifold is thicker.
I sent them a picture to show the difference, and they said that mine looks like a 1614 print head.
However, they said that I could swap manifolds and it'd work in my machine.
Does this sound correct?

The tag on my machine reads VJ1604A.
Does the "A" make any difference?

I'm including a picture of the print heads side by side.
The one on the right is the new one that they shipped to me.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 335

henryp

Both printers use the same printhead, the main difference between these 2 printers is carriage speed (firmware) and the ink cartridge bays (horizontal vs vertical)

inkmed

Hello

VJ1604a is a printer based on 1604E or 1604W.

for the printer head, it is different from 1604 and 1614.

1604 printer can use DX5 compatible printer head, the price is half of the original Mutoh printer head. But 1614 have no compatible printer head.

Adam from Inkmed

Compilla

The tag on my machine reads VJ1604A.
Does the "A" make any difference?

Looks like they send you a water based head... Anyway A stands for Asia.

Do not get me wrong but;
You tried to save a few bucks, now you're stock with that head and minimal or not support at all, You probably ended up buying a head from Mutoh.

Having said that, I will continue to encourage folks to re-think this "great deals" toward generic printer parts distributors.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The VJ-1204, 1304, 1604, 1614, and 1608 all use the same print heads. From the picture you either ordered the wrong head or were shipped the wrong head. I believe that all of the ValueJets sold by Mutoh America have an A at the end of the part number, I haven't been told this but I think this lets you know it is for the American market.

wh867748

The left one is original, and the right one is Epson DX5. The Epson DX5 can't be directly used for Mutoh VJ1604/1614. I also encountered this problem last year. But my friend helped me solve it. Add a adapter, then the Epson DX5 work well.

h82loose

All the machines I sell in Florida have the A. It must be America. If you do replace the manifold be very careful, there is very thin gasket. I have heard reports of the gasket tearing when removing it from an old head. I have taken old ones off and used them on heads with broken nipples. I do highly suggest you flush the lines on the used manifold.Be very careful and use goggles. If the channel is blocked the hose can pop off and spray everywhere.

jhanson

A means America, E means Europe, J for Japan, K for Korea, and C for China. Mutoh is very country-specific (with the exception of Europe).

Not to bring up an old subject but...

My print head broke on my VJ1614... And I am trying to find a replacement.

Will and solvent DX5 head work? I read the responses here, but I don't see a definitive answer.

Robert M

Mutoh

The DX5 print heads with the gold bottom you see on ebay will not fit into the valujet, they are too tall.