• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ Ink Usage

insigns

I just got a VJ1624 installed last wednesday. Since then I have not printed what I would consider a lot. I have had to change the magenta ink cartridge twice (440's) and the yellow once. The yellow is already down to 40% and I just changed it out last night. I printed mainly a set of 40 3x5 banners. Does this ink usage seem normal? I have had a Mutoh Toucan LT and an Epson GS6000. The black and cyan are still at 80% from the original cartridges.
HELP!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Seems like a lot to me too.
What are your cleaning cycles set to?
Is your waste bottle filling up?
I think out of the box the cleaning cycles are set to clean the heads every few hours or so.
That would pour ink down the drain pretty quick.

wayne k
guam usa

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
You can't really tell without seeing the artwork. Since the black and cyan are not going down that quickly this tells me that the image has a heavy load of magenta and yellow or the profile is making it. Onyx has a cost calculator for the ink and this will give you an idea of how much of each colors are being used.

tomence

If you only printed 40 3x5 banners then you shouldn't have used more than one 440cc cart. It doesn't matter what profile you have used to print this banners but 3.5 carts is too much. Something is wrong.

heyskull

Magenta gets used the most on any CMYK printer as it is the one colour that is used for a lot of colours.
Also the more you use it the less waste is used to keep it clean, sounds weird but it does.
Lastly the machine takes I think almost 1/2 of each cartridge to fill the sub tanks and relevant pipework.

SC

Tonio0920

I have here the ink cost study from mutoh japan, 360 x 720 is 7.29ml per sq.meter
The rip they use is photoprint 10

Tonio0920

I just got a VJ1624 installed last wednesday. Since then I have not printed what I would consider a lot. I have had to change the magenta ink cartridge twice (440's) and the yellow once. The yellow is already down to 40% and I just changed it out last night. I printed mainly a set of 40 3x5 banners. Does this ink usage seem normal? I have had a Mutoh Toucan LT and an Epson GS6000. The black and cyan are still at 80% from the original cartridges.
HELP!

Have you consider the initial charge waste of the printer?the inkline was empty before it was installed,there is a 100ml subtank which is also empty.during the initial charge you have to fill the inkline and the subtank plus the extra ink suck by the capping unit.