• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1204 Cannot Open Port

Kelsey Adams

I can print multiple jobs without an issue and then halfway through a job it stops and says cannot open port. I have the printer hooked up directly to my laptop with a Cat5 crossover cable. I have IP, Subnet and Gateway set to what the manual stated. I am at a loss as to what to do to fix this. It seems to randomly fix itself when I try different things since I have no clue what I change that makes it work all the sudden. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

netsol

it is a HORRIBLE practice to connect a pc & a printer with a crossover cable.
buy a $17. network switch on amazon & use 2 reguoar cables.
you are tripping over network,power management. this method of connecting devices has been discouraged since windows 95.

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unm...593&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=5+port+switch&psc=1

you don't say what os you are using, but
go to control panel. find power managment, set the power plan to go to sleep never.
then go to device manager, find the netwotk card, > properties> power management tab > uncheck let windows put this device to slep to save power (stupidest idea to ever come out of microsoft)

if you are in windows 10, this last setting is not carved in stone,
it can occasionally be reset by windows update. check it periodically if your error returns weeks from now (microsoft is still engaging in the practice of pushing updates to windows 10 on tuesdays)

Kelsey Adams

it is a HORRIBLE practice to connect a pc & a printer with a crossover cable.
buy a $17. network switch on amazon & use 2 reguoar cables.
you are tripping over network,power management. this method of connecting devices has been discouraged since windows 95.

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unm...593&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=5+port+switch&psc=1

you don't say what os you are using, but
go to control panel. find power managment, set the power plan to go to sleep never.
then go to device manager, find the netwotk card, > properties> power management tab > uncheck let windows put this device to slep to save power (stupidest idea to ever come out of microsoft)

if you are in windows 10, this last setting is not carved in stone,
it can occasionally be reset by windows update. check it periodically if your error returns weeks from now (microsoft is still engaging in the practice of pushing updates to windows 10 on tuesdays)
The issue I have is that my router is in a completely different room and with what your saying (correct me if I’m wrong) is that I would need to run an Ethernet cord from my router to the device that you posted above? And then from the device to my pc.

AGCharlotte

The issue I have is that my router is in a completely different room and with what your saying (correct me if I’m wrong) is that I would need to run an Ethernet cord from my router to the device that you posted above? And then from the device to my pc.

no.. what he's saying is take the cable running to your PC from your router and plug it into the new switch. Then take two new cords and run one from the switch to your PC and one from the switch to your printer.

AGCharlotte

In that case... the router doesn't need to be connected to the new switch at all. You would need to setup static ip addresses on your printer and your computer (which you probably already have for the crossover connection).

Kelsey Adams

Yes I have my printer set at 172.018.003.101 and Flexi/Ethernet settings at 172.018.003.100. Subnet as 255.255.255.000.

I go into control panel, networks click Ethernet and then properties, internet protocol version 4 (tcp/ipv4) and that is set as 172.018.003.100

No matter what I change I still get cannot open port error. Would this problem be fixed if I did in fact connect to my router?

netsol

i don't get what the 3rd ip is. there are only 2 devices
the pc is .100
the printer is .101

from the pc open a command prompt. (start run cmd) type ping 172.018.003.101 hit enter
it should reply 3 times

if it replies you should be able to open the port.

spend the $16 on a switch eliminate the crossover
can someone explain what the 3rd ip address is for?
does the rip require an additional ip?

Umca

What is IP setting for WiFi on your notebook? If DHCP then please check your IP for WiFi is not in same range as LAN port for direct connection to the printer.

AGCharlotte

I'm confused as to what the Flexi/Ethernet ip setting is. Currently it looks like you have it the same as the PC which may or may not be correct. If you're setting it in Flexi as your "host address" I'm assuming it's the PC flexi is on... might be better off changing that to 127.0.0.1, but I don't Flexi to know specifics.

netsol

What is IP setting for WiFi on your notebook? If DHCP then please check your IP for WiFi is not in same range as LAN port for direct connection to the printer.

it is a different interface, it doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be ) the same
for an isolated network, it should be different that is why whoever set it up used 172.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address
they did it the correct way

netsol

i assume it could have a different address is you had a different pc hosting the rip.
a job would go from the design pc, to the rip, then to the printer

it is possible whoever set it up used a dummy address to work around some other problem.

i suspect we have to make a new setup for the printer in flexi and this will solve the problem. but, i would start by eliminating the cross over cable