• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1204 CR2 current error 074

CDStudios

Hi guys,

We have a Mutoh VJ1204 that has been giving a CR2 current error message a couple times a day. Some jobs will finish, some will stop after a few passes. Sometimes there is a loud knock an instant before the error code - like the head is running to the end of the track and banging into the left side. I know there are several threads already by others with this issue - haven't found any solutions there that have worked for us.

Tried cleaning the encoder (T-fence), checked the y-motor, adjusted belt tension, cleaned and lubed the track, tried different print profiles. Just replaced the T-fence with a brand new one, and still no luck. This thing is getting frustrating. Is the only solution really to keep replacing parts blindly until we happen to replace the offending part? (This is the solution offered to us by the tech where we bought the printer)

Any thoughts would be great - Thanks

randya

Hi guys,

We have a Mutoh VJ1204 that has been giving a CR2 current error message a couple times a day. Some jobs will finish, some will stop after a few passes. Sometimes there is a loud knock an instant before the error code - like the head is running to the end of the track and banging into the left side. I know there are several threads already by others with this issue - haven't found any solutions there that have worked for us.

Tried cleaning the encoder (T-fence), checked the y-motor, adjusted belt tension, cleaned and lubed the track, tried different print profiles. Just replaced the T-fence with a brand new one, and still no luck. This thing is getting frustrating. Is the only solution really to keep replacing parts blindly until we happen to replace the offending part? (This is the solution offered to us by the tech where we bought the printer)

Any thoughts would be great - Thanks

The CR2 error code is a catch all for a variety of errors.
So knowing exactly what the error is, is important.

Is a Mutoh trained tech working on this?

I am not familiar with with one that includes a loud knock, but it will be important to carefully watch the machine as it errors to see at what exact location it knocks. If it is hitting something, it can take out the steel belt.

See if you can determine if it is the carriage system or the page feed system.

If it is the carriage: Make sure the carriage/carriage bearings are good and the carriage sits level.
If it is the page feed, check the mechanisms, motor, bearings, etc.

There are quite a few diagnostic tools in maintenance mode to check sensors, motors, etc.
There are also modes which will allow you to 'cycle' particular parts of the system to check for errors. Have your tech walk you through the "Endurance Running Menu" and you can cycle the cr and pf systems to check for errors.

Could be as simple as a sensor, encoder or motor.

CDStudios

The CR2 error code is a catch all for a variety of errors.
So knowing exactly what the error is, is important.

Is a Mutoh trained tech working on this?

I am not familiar with with one that includes a loud knock, but it will be important to carefully watch the machine as it errors to see at what exact location it knocks. If it is hitting something, it can take out the steel belt.

See if you can determine if it is the carriage system or the page feed system.

If it is the carriage: Make sure the carriage/carriage bearings are good and the carriage sits level.
If it is the page feed, check the mechanisms, motor, bearings, etc.

There are quite a few diagnostic tools in maintenance mode to check sensors, motors, etc.
There are also modes which will allow you to 'cycle' particular parts of the system to check for errors. Have your tech walk you through the "Endurance Running Menu" and you can cycle the cr and pf systems to check for errors.

Could be as simple as a sensor, encoder or motor.

Hi Randy,

Did a couple tests to pin down this error. First, I took out the encoder strip and cleaned the encoder sensor with some alcohol - didn't help. Then we did some of the endurance tests for the CR. At high speed (320), the error showed up after about 25 passes. At lower speed (200), the printer did not error out. This may not be surprising though, since sometimes we can print 10 feet without having an error.

The error almost always occurs as the carriage is turning around for the return pass - just at the left edge of the printer. I'm thinking the motor is failing and can't turn the carriage around before it knocks into the left side of the track. Does this sound likely, and is there any way to test the y motor?

Thanks for the help.

randya

Hi Randy,

Did a couple tests to pin down this error. First, I took out the encoder strip and cleaned the encoder sensor with some alcohol - didn't help. Then we did some of the endurance tests for the CR. At high speed (320), the error showed up after about 25 passes. At lower speed (200), the printer did not error out. This may not be surprising though, since sometimes we can print 10 feet without having an error.

Have you looked at the encoder under magnification in the area where your errors are occuring?

If there is damage to some of the marks, it could be loosing it's place.
Makes more sense at high speed.

The error almost always occurs as the carriage is turning around for the return pass - just at the left edge of the printer. I'm thinking the motor is failing and can't turn the carriage around before it knocks into the left side of the track. Does this sound likely, and is there any way to test the y motor?

Thanks for the help.

This is the same time that the pf motor indexes to feed the media.
So it could still be a pf error.

Have you watched it know into the left side of the track?
Never recall hearing this one before.

My pleasure to try to help.

CDStudios

update

Just wanted to give an update on this error. We have changed the CR movement setting from "machine" to "data" so that the carriage only travels to the end of the image, rather than to the edge of the track. This has completely gotten rid of the CR2 current error - but this is a temporary fix. This means to me that the carriage is losing track of where it is if it gets close to the left side of the track, but eventually we will need to be able to print images up to 48" and we will have the same problem again.

When the carriage gets near the left edge of the track we often get the CR2 error, but we just replaced the encoder strip 2 weeks ago, with the same problem. Any ideas what could be causing the error with this additional information? Is it possible that the origin point for the carriage position is wrong, causing it to think that it has more room on the left side of the track than it really has?

Last edited:

Darronb

did changing the CR Motor fix your issue? I am having the exact same problem and have replaced exactly what you had. Next up I believe is the Cr motor. Where can I get one?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
did changing the CR Motor fix your issue? I am having the exact same problem and have replaced exactly what you had. Next up I believe is the Cr motor. Where can I get one?

When you changed out the T-fence did you clean the sensor on the carriage?
I had the same error on a 1304 and it did not go away completely until I cleaned the pick-up eye on the sensor. I used a lint free patch wrapped around the edge of a credit card with a little rubbing alcohol.
Seems that a fine mist of ink will coat just about everything around the capping station if you print long enough.

wayne k
guam usa

inkmed

Yes, one of my friend have this problem too.
It is CR motor question.
Just changing the motor.

Adam Yang from Inkmed