• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1204 Strange hairline banding *detailed description & pics*

bue95

I am having a strange horizontal banding issue with my 7 month old VJ1204. This issue popped up out of no where after running without a hitch the whole time I have owned the machine. The banding exists in the same pattern no mater what media, profile, resolution, heat setting, print direction, wave form ect that I have tested. The banding is extremely light, hair line thin with a "scratchy" physical texture in every color. Nozzle check shows no missing nozzles but some minor skewed lines. I have never quite seen a issue like this, I have been down for 4 days testing every tip and trick I know and at this point I am out of ideas. I use to be a maint tech for Brother and Kornit direct to garment printers, I am very picky about maintenance & environment and keep all of my equipment very clean and maintained.

I have tested/checked/adjusted the following:
-Proper cleaning of parts
-Nozzle check
-Multiple profile/media/heat changes
-Multiple PF checks and minor adjustments
- Maintenance station tests - operating properly
- Air leaks , Air inline checks
-Adjust Print, minor Bi-D adjustments
-Maintenance mode nozzle tests
-Maintenance mode Uni-Bi checks - slight adjust on Bi-D
-Head slant- Head skew checks - no issues
- Full head flush with mutoh cleaning carts
- Head soak at capping with mutoh fluid
-Encoder clean, bearing race clean and lube
- Heaters and elements test normal
- Static eliminating procedures

I am sure I am forgetting a few things. My first initial thought was profile-nozzle-PF but all have checked out. Though I am not a expert at reading the nozzle test, there are no missing nozzles however some of the lines are slightly skewed. The maintenance mode nozzle test showed some heavy lines. I do not know the proper way to read this test though.

No change in environment, room ranges from 68-72 degrees, 55-65% humidity

Please see attached photo, I tired my best to show the issue so it makes sense. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The machine is still under warranty I am in the process of sending all this to the techs, just thought id throw it out here to, thanks!
w6hm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LenXIII

I just made a post today (http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...zles-firing-and-wave-on&p=1118768#post1118768) where I am having that same issue, but only in my black! The way you described it and from what I can see in your pics is the same problem I am getting in my black. I will be trouble shooting this issue myself and keep you updated in case these are related issues.

I assume you are running OEM inks given this is a new machine, but figured I would ask.

bue95

LenX- This is a Signwarehouse model, it is shipped with EnduraInk and that is what I use. I did however switch to a new set of Mutoh ink after a full flush just to test this particular issue with no change. We have another 3yr old 1204 from Signwarehouse at my other company that we switched to EnduraInk last year and have had good results. I will also keep you updated with anything I find out.

Already through my first rounds of talks with SW tech support. Though prompt immediately the tech was sort of rude and aggressive right off the bat, at this point I am just interested in brainstorming and having some well thought out ideas thrown my way. He wanted me to just snail mail nozzle checks to them without any discussion, I was first not able to vocalize details of the issue or any of my thoughts without being constantly cut off. Pretty disappointing so far.

bue95

Stealth- Thanks, I keep going back to PF adjustments, In most of my tests it just seems/looks like the only logical answer. Henry- You are correct, I wrote "skewed nozzles" on the image, misdirected is what I should have said. This has cleared up, I should have taken a photo of a more recent nozzle check. The thing is that only a couple of nozzles in M and C were slightly misdirected, the banding or streaks runs uniform across all colors. This test shows 100% CMYK swatches, and the streaks are seen in every swatch in the exact same spots. That is why I keep going back to PF.

LenXIII

I have a lot of experience with feed issues for various reasons and I can tell you with confidence that isn't a feed issue. Feed issues would leave more consistent banding or at least more distinct banding if not consistent. These lines he is getting you can see while it prints the pass before the feed has even kicked in. On my end it almost looks as if the nozzles aren't firing, but I don't think that's the case.

I have heard some very bad things about signwarehouse. My mutoh also came from there originally but they shipped them with OEM inks at the time. Even though you bought it from signwarehouse I would call Mutoh tech support with your serial number on hand. Even though they might not do the warranty work they will be more than happy to help you. Just don't talk to anyone in sales at Mutoh because they are worse than signwarehouse. PLEASE keep us all updated if you find the problem outside of this forum.

letterman7

I've just started experiencing the same issue, with the added issue of a dropout about 14" from the home rest. The rest of the print is fine, save for those fine lines. I do have some clogged nozzles on the black, but that shouldn't impact the rest of the colors as it does. I talked with my local Mutoh tech and suggested that it's probably electrical - ribbon cables going bad or possibly the main board... which I surely hope it isn't. In any case, they are scheduled to do some maintenance late this week. I'll post whatever they may find.
R

LenXIII

Any update on your machine? Did it turn out to be electrical? Mine is starting to get worse and show in more colors now. Head tests look good, but the printing is still appearing as if several nozzles aren't firing.