• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question VJ1304:empty ink lines prior to installing cleaning carts?

Rayd8

hi all,
Since i'm new to VJ's i was windering if there is a procedure to install solvent cleaning carts? Do i need to empty the inklines or simply install the cleaningcarts and do some powercleanings? Ps: i think the cleaningcarts dont have any smartcards with them(sorry they haven't arrived yet)?
Thx for any input
Thierry

FatCat

Typically, you only use the cleaning carts when you are doing a purge on an operational printer to prep it for storage or a long distance move. You really don't use them to "clean" the printer...?

Rayd8

well i think one of the black ink channels' nozzles are ca. 30-40% clogged, i tried soaking the capping top but even after several soaking-nights and power cleans she's still clogged, so i was wondering in how far putting such a cart and printing some feet of pure black would help... Thx FatCat :)

Thierry

FatCat

If you go through and do a search, there are threads posted on some ideas on how you "might" clear that. However, if they have been plugged for a long time, might be that they can never be recovered and a new head is the only fix for the problem.

If you find you are not making any headway with the issue, you can fill a syringe with cleaning solvent and attach a flex line to the tip of the syringe. Then pop of the black dampers and CAREFULLY & GENTLY try to push little cleaning solution into the black channels and leave it sit for a few hours. IF you start getting nozzles back, keep going... I would only suggest this as a last resort if you can't get them cleared by other methods because if you apply too much pressure from the syringe you could possibly blow out the head.

Rayd8

hi Sean/FatCat,

Thx for your input. No the head is like this since 1,5 months, doing only nozzle cleans each week wasn't enough to keep the head clean it seems.
Syringe: yes that i tried but it seems i did it a bit too gentle, since even on perfectly working colors which give 100% fine nozzlecheckprints i didn't have any 'small waterfall with thin lines of cleaning solvent' spraying (to i guess i didn't push hard enough on the syringe (as i don't want to wreck the head.
Ok, will try to let the syringe with damper filled with cleaning solvent overnight this night and i'll see what happens tomorrowmorning.
Thanks all for any help in resurrecting this otherwise perfect nozzle printing printhead.
Grtz,
T.

Rayd8

Sean/FatCat,
I see you also had a VJ-1304. Q: how did you do such a 'flush' while leaving the printhead in-place? I cannot seem to see how hard i'm pressing the syringe when leaving the head parked on the capping station? Also then setting the head in CR maintenance (so placing the head midway) i simple cannot see how hard i'm pressing? I what thinking of unmounting the left cover since it seems there is a small space over there when pulling the head all the way to the left?
Thanks for your help, Sean :)
Thierry

FatCat

" i didn't have any 'small waterfall with thin lines of cleaning solvent' spraying (to i guess i didn't push hard enough on the syringe (as i don't want to wreck the head."

You will never get the "waterfall" appearance from a DX5 head, only DX4 and older will do that which have larger print nozzles. If you get a stream or waterfall from a DX5 you are definitely forcing too much fluid/pressure through the head. If you are doing it correctly, the cleaning fluid will basically pool on the bottom of the head and the excess will drip off.

FatCat

Sean/FatCat,
I see you also had a VJ-1304. Q: how did you do such a 'flush' while leaving the printhead in-place? I cannot seem to see how hard i'm pressing the syringe when leaving the head parked on the capping station? Also then setting the head in CR maintenance (so placing the head midway) i simple cannot see how hard i'm pressing? I what thinking of unmounting the left cover since it seems there is a small space over there when pulling the head all the way to the left?
Thanks for your help, Sean :)
Thierry

First off, whenever you do something like this make sure your machine is powered off - AND a safe thing to do is unplug from the wall and press the power button to discharge any electricity stored in the machine after you unplug it.

On a 1204 or 1304 it is far easier to just remove the head to flush it with a syringe - the 1604/14/24 can be done this way, but you will not leave the head on the capping station, move it to the far left and put down some paper towels to absorb the cleaning fluid. But again, much care is needed to not put too much pressure on the head. Again, I stress this is a last resort option and you have resolved yourself to buy a new head if it fails...not something to toy around with if you merely have a few blocked nozzles.

Rayd8

Hi Sean,
Again, many thanks for your info. I have included a picture of the current nozzlecheck status (CYM= perfect, K channels: one has maybe 20%, the other more like 70% of it's nozzles; previous owner claims he did a nozzlecheck every week from end of production (october) till beginning of januari (from when i've picked this -seamingly- marvell up). Capping and pump seem to work fine as i see 'lots' of ink going to the waste container.

- "waterfall": that explains why this isn't the case with my printhead on other color channels (CYM) :) Is should be more like so then:
i guess? That is the case but i clearly feel more resistance in the black channels (which are clearly clogged (see pic)). So i guess i must keep 'pushing' cleaningsolvent with a syringe on those channels in an effort to unclogg her.
- remove the head: do you think it is better to completely remove the printhead (read: out of the printer) in order to flush it or do you mean its better to remove the head from the cappingstation(position)?
- risk: yes i understand the risk, but i cannot print anything right now so i feel the risk is bigger in leaving the printhead clogged like she is right now as that renders the printer useless (see color patch print test: black and darker colorpatches suffer a lot) :-S

Done until now:
- several cleanings (eco, normal, power, ...)
- check if the cappingstation is ok (wiper and capping top cleaned/pump work > ink going to waste container
- soaked the capping top and leave the printhead overnight + std cleaning and printtest with all black for some feet + nozzle check : still clogged (seems allways the same nozzles)
- tried to flush (very gently (with a syringe attached to a damper, so not pushing directly in the printhead) + few cleanings to fill the head with ink again + nozzle check : still the same nozzles

Up next: several possibilities remain (as far as my instinct goes):
- or purge all ink and put in those ecosolvent cleaning carts and let her fill up with this + capping soaked with cleaning for 1 day or so + lots of printing with the cleaningsolvent (instead of normal ecosolvent ink)
- or remove the head completely and flush the head with a pure syringe (read: witouth any damper in between) with lots of cleaningsolvent
- or soak the capping again and keep on trying to slightly flush the head

What's your opinion as to this history of trying/cleaning, Sean? Others: Also many thanks for any pro input on this. I will report back and add to this thread as others might also learn from my doings.

Thierry

Attachments

• 16425546_10212759975658378_525383051_n.jpg
    16425546_10212759975658378_525383051_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 193
  • image1lq.jpg
    image1lq.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 173

premiercolour

Merchant Member
If the Mutoh printhead is clogged I would check dampers, maintenance station if they are in good working order. Then after that, close the line from cap to waste line, fill up the cleaning solution and soak the head for a day or two. If the printhead is still clogged, the chance of recovering this printhead is very slim. The more you touch the printer, the more chances you'd blow the fuses or damage other components. It actually would get worst. I suggest to buy a printhead, find a few customers and get over it.

We are an authorized Mutoh dealer from S. California. We can help sourcing the printheads and any Mutoh spare parts and supplies.

Premier Colour
714-668-9200
sales@premiercolour.com
9-5 pm pst

lbpalm

try moving the print head off the capping station then load up the capping station with Mutoh cleaning solution and immediately return the return (manually) to the capping station.
Let it sit for a while, then cleaning cycle, then nozzle check.

Repeat until all nozzles are clear.

- Might work for you.