• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1608 Edges

tgrinds

Hi,
Is there a way I can print rigid media to the Top, Left and Right edges with a VJ1608? If so, how would I set up my media. My understanding is that the margins are:

Top: 15mm
Back: 5mm
Left: 5mm
Right: 5mm

I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything to make it print to the edge. I understand that light medias such as coroflute needs to be past the black line on the platen to avoid head strike and maximize vacuum suction. But what about ACM or Dibond aluminum? Heavier medias don't need that extra suction. I'm wondering if a thin underlying sheet would help.

I'm just brainstorming before trying anything radical but thought if anyone wanted to shed some light on this, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

artbot

this may not apply (does with mimaki). you can enter negative values. many firmwares have a minimum margin after measuring. but a negative value can eliminate that. btw. i am totally jealous of your printer. i could do so much with a rig like that. it's on my wish list.

randya

The only way I know of is to make a jig that is larger than your 'print' so that the printer can still have it's margins.

tgrinds

Thanks for the information. I agree with you, Randy. Maybe I'll work on building me a jig. By the way, where exactly is the measurement coming from? Does the margin begin from the inside edge of the black strip? Thanks again.

randya

Yes the margin measures from the black strip on the printer to the contrast 'white' of the media.

artbot

this may be kind of up my ally in that my jv3 is converted to a flatbed. if you are talking about the black rubber thing that the media sensor "sees". i've put a strip of white tape inside of mine so that i get a maximum read on width. no matter if i'm printing 10" or 64" the printer always reads 63.9". and i can place the sheet wherever i want or up against the guides. on boot the printer just measures the tape, no media loading required.

also i've rerouted the pinch rollers "lever up" sensor to the outside of the machine (it's a simple IR switch). loading sheets on a jv3...everytime you lift the lever, it wants to remeasure. not anymore. not sure if your 1608 does this.

Attachments

• IR_switch.jpg
    IR_switch.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 116

Esdale

1608 material size

As Randy said make a jig. But what I do for a quick one off job, I cut strips of the same material and tape the to the edges on the back side. Of course you have to enter a new sheet size and select it in the material menu. After you try it a few times it will be come second nature
:Canada 2:

tgrinds

Thanks for all the ideas and work arounds. Greatly appreciated. I'll make a jig and see what happens. Take care.