• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1614 CR Motor

bendeane

I just blew out my 2nd CR motor in 4 months. What underlying problem would make this happen? Everything runs smooth when printing, but this 2nd motor in 4 months has me puzzled. I take really good care of my printer, clean and lube the raceways regularly, belt tension seems good. Any thoughts? Also, is there something about this motor that makes it cost 300 bucks?

Thanks,
Ben

bendeane

Oh, and does anybody know...

where I might get this part locally in Kansas City? Canton, OH is the closest so far...

FatCat

I've heard that printing heavy rolls can cause a lot of wear on the motors, but 4 months seems awfully short.

FatCat

Ah, my bad, yes the pf motor was what I was thinking. Perhaps something is on a bind? Can you move the carriage back and forth across the rails easily by hand without any drag or resistance?

bendeane

Only when the motor is hooked up. A calgraph tech told me that if it glides nice and easy when the motor is off, then binding is probably not an issue. He said maybe t-fence or timing belt. The t fence may be sending mixed messages to the carriage telling it to go certain ways it shouldn't and this is causing premature stress on the motor, or that the timing belt is causing some undue stress on the motor causing failure.

The motor is definitely bad as it sounds like it is grinding when I turn the shaft with my fingers.