• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1614 - E074Err CR2 Current

PolycraftInc

So the past week or two I've been getting this error randomly. I was able to just turn the machine off and back on and it would work again for a few hours, if not the whole day.

After the long weekend I'm getting this error no matter what. Sometimes immediately before the carriage even moves, and sometimes it will go about an inch over my material and error out.

I read in the forums it could just be the tab that holds the carriage in place, it was a little bent, and that it could be the encoder strip along the top. When I went to clean the strip I noticed there was some of the encoding missing (see attached)

Is that likely my problem? If so, is it something I can order and replace myself, or do I need fancy tools and should find a technician to do it?

I also read it could be the J207 Cable that runs to the CR Board. How do I get to that? I can't seem to figure out exactly what that is.

Thanks,

Loren

Edit: The encoder below has a piece of white paper behind it so you can see the wear.

Attachments

• Encoder.jpg
    Encoder.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
That encoder in the picture is done witht that amount of a scrape/rub theres no way for the sensor to read its position on the strip if it is no longer there. Did you do that by cleaning it? encoders are very sensitive strips of mylar 1 kink or rub off like that it is done. The rest of the question is can you do it yourself? have you done it before do you know proper handling and install technique?

PolycraftInc

I literally started working with these machines 2 weeks ago and it's been a non-stop headache. I only gently cleaned the encoder and didn't rub one spot more than any other so it must have been barely squeaking by until today. I just found the spot in the manual that shows how to replace it, is there anything I should know beyond that?

PolycraftInc

To anyone that cares: that was my problem, I flipped the strip around to see if it would stop at the beginning and it went past and printed fine. Luckily my material stops before i gets to the messed up part of the strip and I can print again for awhile.