• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1614 Vertical Banding

tgrinds

Hello,
I have a couple of questions regarding printing on paper using the Mutoh 1614. The issue is when printing on DTEC EcoDisplay 135, I'm seeing vertical banding that is noticable in darker solids. I've already thumbed through some old posts with similar issues, but still had some questions.

1. What are good heat settings for matte paper stock? Currently, I'm using 40,40,50 which seems warm to me.
2. I've tried changing all the microweave options in ColorGATE. All showed vertical banding except for None. Then it changed to horizontal banding. I did print the job successfully uni-directional which I thought would mean my bi alignments would need adjusting. But they all looked great.The PF adjust printed correctly also. Superfine and Wave helped a lot, but it's still slightly there. Any other ideas?
3. It's a newer machine, but is there anything I can clean mechanically? T-Fence, ect...?

Cheers

Compilla

Hello,

3. It's a newer machine, but is there anything I can clean mechanically? T-Fence, ect...?

Cheers

How old is it?

Clean the Carriage Guide and Carriage Slider
Improperly cleaned Carriage Guide and Slider can lead to Carriage vibration and horizontal banding.

tgrinds

Hi Compilla, the machine has been installed for only 3 months.

Stealth Ryder: I'll take a look at the speed reduction belt. However, I am suspecting the paper for the fact that I don't see it on other stock. The other strange thing is that the vertical banding is more noticeable on the right side, where as, the left side shows more of a horizontal banding.

Thanks you for your input.

henryp

Hi Compilla, the machine has been installed for only 3 months.

Stealth Ryder: I'll take a look at the speed reduction belt. However, I am suspecting the paper for the fact that I don't see it on other stock. The other strange thing is that the vertical banding is more noticeable on the right side, where as, the left side shows more of a horizontal banding.

Thanks you for your input.

Does your printer have a takeup unit? The last issue you described usually occur when the takeup unit is not properly aligned to the printer, this is because the media tends to feed more on one side than the other.

In my experience, vertical banding is oftentimes profile related. Using ideal heat settings, ink limits and restrictions in the profile will usually get rid of it. On difficult to profile media, using the Wow Mode wave pattern can help get rid or at least minimize vertical banding.

Vertical banding can also be mechanically induced, make sure the printer is solidly mounted on its stand and not vibrating or swaying as the carriage moves across while printing. If it does, tighten the screws on the stand and the fixing screws on the printer's base. On older printers, worn or dirty bearing raceways can also cause vertical banding.

Last edited:

tgrinds

Thanks Henryp, I'll certainly look into that. The machine does have a take up unit, however, it's not being used in this project, so I know that it's not the cause. What's a good starting point for heat settings regarding 200gsm paper?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

henryp

Thanks Henryp, I'll certainly look into that. The machine does have a take up unit, however, it's not being used in this project, so I know that it's not the cause. What's a good starting point for heat settings regarding 200gsm paper?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

The 40 40 50 settings are good starting points on a room temperature of 24 degrees with around 50 % humidity. I suspect the problem lies mainly with the profile you are using because as you said, it only occurs on this media and only on certain dark colour combinations. This usually indicate temperature, ink limits, and restrictions issues within the profile itself.

Last edited: