• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-300 will not print red

goinmxn

My VP has stopped printing red. Anytime red is present it prints a orange color. Test print shows no problems. I am not sure where to start. I have cleaned the heads. Caps maybe? I am new to printing so this is frustrating, but I have to learn somehow....

Thanks
Steve

joeshaul

Need a few more details, but my off the wall guess would be just color profiling issues.

What software are you using and what formats are you exporting to? Oftentimes I will export EPS from Coreldraw. If I need exact colors, I will use my pantone chart, if I'm kind of going for a photograph/raster style with drop shadow effects and the like, I'll usually convert to an RGB bitmap first, then export to EPS.

Does this problem affect old artwork/jobs?
If it doesn't, it's definitely a software related issue. If it does, then a few things could've possibly changed with the system setup.

Is the problem constant, or gradual (IE, starts red, then goes orange, then straight yellow?)
If it's gradual I'm sure someone with more Roland tech experience than myself will guide you through the troubleshooting process for that.

goinmxn

The problem does affect old jobs that did print well previously. It is not gradual, I cant get red no matter how I alter the color in Corel or Versaworks.

SE SignSupply

My VP has stopped printing red. Anytime red is present it prints a orange color. Test print shows no problems. I am not sure where to start. I have cleaned the heads. Caps maybe? I am new to printing so this is frustrating, but I have to learn somehow....

Thanks
Steve

How does the nozzle check look? <---Always start here.

goinmxn

Nozzle check looks good on all but the black, which is showing some deviations in the pattern, but no drop out.

Thanks for the quick responses:)

Do a visual check - look closely at the very edges (seal area) - if they are bent over 9compared to the other edges) then replace...But, I have had some that "looked" ok, but were bad...best to replace and not worry for 18 more months.

goinmxn

Soution!

After some searching and thanks to kustomkoncepts and his thread I figured out my problem. We took apart and cleaned the heads last week, thats when the problem started. Last night I was checking the ribbons with the power still on I know, not good. I blew the cyan /black fuse on the main board. I figured this out by switching the top ribbons and was able to get the black/cyan head to fire with the magenta yellow side ribbon. Well I need to print today as another order came in this morning needing print, a good size one I might add! Anywho, I don't have any fuses available sooo, being as I have a Auto Stereo shop as well, my guys are good with electronics now their is a 1 amp blade fuse soldered in doing very well until the other fuses show up. Everything is working now. I can only attribute the no red problem to a loose ribbon or dirty connection. I cleaned the ribbons mating surfaces and made sure they were seated well. All seems to be good now, thanks to signs101!:clapping:

Thanks
Steve

SE SignSupply

Good to hear it's up and running.

Always turn the power off when playing with ribbon cables. Sometimes not only will the fuse blow but the power transistor on the board will go with it. Sounds like you got lucky!

PS- You can swap the ribbon cables for the heads, as long as you keep them in the same sides as they were on the original . If you cross up the cables, the fuse will blow instantly.