Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VP-540 Colors off...please help

Discussion in 'Roland' started by stillhasdust, Aug 7, 2009.

1. stillhasdust

stillhasdust Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Charlotte
    I have a VP-540 that does not print well. I printed out the test print of the guitar and 4 color boxes and my blacks are like a chocolate brown and my cyans are real washed out. Does any body know what this can be??

p.s I have used FDC 7242, Arlon 4560GTX, and a big foot banner to test and they all come out the same....

:thankyou::signs101:

Tags:
  2. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Profiles

3. grafixemporium

grafixemporium Very Active Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Did you run a test print to make sure all the guns are firing? If a portion of the guns in any head are clogged, all your colors will be off.

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    +1 for profiles...

did you use the same profile for all those medias?

5. Numlokz

Numlokz Member

May 9, 2009
    ^__ Grafixempourim is right- Clean you VP-540, sounds like the heads are clogged bad.

+2 Profiles. I can't convince my boss enough to let my purchase better material that actual has profiles.

If you don't have the profiles you are going to want to use the gernerice settings (I use Versa Works) and you will have to play around with the settings until you find what prints correctly. Good Luck

6. Pacific Coast Sign

Pacific Coast Sign Active Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Clean Clean Clean...test print....and check profile. I suspect your heads are not clean and you're not getting the proper ink levels.

7. ScottB

ScottB Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Moore, OK
    I'm running into the same problem. I've contacted my regional Roland Tech and was given the following advice:

"In photoshop draw a gradiant from black to white. Under Image>Mode change the file to grayscale save it as a eps and print it in versaworks. IF it prints perfect then you know the profile you are using in versaworks is fine and the issue is the color management on the front end. IF it prints with a hue or cast to it then the issue is in the color setting in VW."

My result is a reddish/brown hue between the solid black and solid white portions of the gradient. So I've medium cleaned, normal cleaned, checked for drop outs, and shot through about 6 feet of vinyl. The sample image of the guitar looks good to me when printed. I've used two different profiles (GCVP & PGCT) with the same hue result.

What's the next step?

HELP!
    Thanks!

8. ScottB

ScottB Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Moore, OK
    Sorry for the mis-information, the guitar image is hued red in the gradient sample as well.

THX:thankyou: