• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 firmware upgrade problem

kico-abaco

I'm having problems installing printer firmware upgrade, installed version is 1.70 and i'm trying upgrade to 3.10 but I only get message "failed to send firmware. turn off main power switch and turn it on then try installation again."
I upgraded Versaworks 3.00 to 3.13, but this damn printer firmware doesn't want to pass.
Any clue?

DRamm76

That's not a printer issue, that's more of a computer issue preventing you from properly installing the program. I would try to reinstall Versaworks program then download the firmware upgrade but I would also recommend running a virus scan on our computer

kico-abaco

That's not a printer issue, that's more of a computer issue preventing you from properly installing the program. I would try to reinstall Versaworks program then download the firmware upgrade but I would also recommend running a virus scan on our computer

Ajaja, reinstall Versaworks? Too much work, profiles installing... ajaja. :-(
Don't believe that's have something with Versaworks, because upgrading printer's firmware is a standalone program/application.
I tried to uninstall antivirus (no big deal because that computer isn't internet connected so there's no viruses threat...), also turned off the firewall, but doesn't help. I believe it's something with Vista, but don't have a clue what could it be.

G

gps-hi

are you using the firmware updater exe file or trying a manual update?

kico-abaco

are you using the firmware updater exe file or trying a manual update?

I'm using firmware updater exe file downloaded from roland's web. My tech support don't have a clue because no one ever had that kind of problem. :-(
Computer and vp-540 are connected via ethernet cable, directly, not via switch.
Printer works just fine and i'm printing this whole day, but it's annoying knowing that something is wrong and that i'm not using the best capabilities of that machine.

dlndesign

So you did update the firmware? If so, whats the problem? I had the exact same thing happen to my VP-540, let me know if your having issues.

kico-abaco

So you did update the firmware? If so, whats the problem? I had the exact same thing happen to my VP-540, let me know if your having issues.

Nope, didn't upgrade printer's firmware, just upgraded VersaWorks to latest 3.13 version.
Printer's firmware stayed on 1.70 ver. (i'm trying to get it on 3.00 version), but it works fine although Versaworks gives me message that it's not compatible with printer that has such low firmware version (1.70).
What did you do to upgrade firmware of the printer?

Regards!
Kriss

G

gps-hi

with the installer it should be pretty simple to run. Just keep the sub-power off and the main power on and run the installer. Are you getting errors when running the installer?

kico-abaco

with the installer it should be pretty simple to run. Just keep the sub-power off and the main power on and run the installer. Are you getting errors when running the installer?

Yap, I'm doing right that, it's already described in manual... I'm running an exe installer, but after computer and printer establish connection (beep sound on printer that signs printer is waitting for data) I'm getting a message "failed to send firmware. turn off main power switch and turn it on then try installation again."
And it just won't work, tried it for 15-20 times, deleted antivirus and turned off firewall and it still won't work. Tried changing IP addresses - and nothing helps.
What is a method for manual update that you mentioned?

Last edited:

InkjetAuction

Updater fix?

This is going to sound silly... and it really makes no sense to me, but...

When typing the IP address in the appropriate fields in the updater application, be sure that you use three digits in each of the windows.

For example: if your IP address is 192.168.0.50, type 192.168.000.050

I have updated MANY machines with both the updater, and the Peck tool and have seen this problem. There appears to be some type of bug in the software updater. Roland has been notified.

~E

kico-abaco

This is going to sound silly... and it really makes no sense to me, but...

When typing the IP address in the appropriate fields in the updater application, be sure that you use three digits in each of the windows.

For example: if your IP address is 192.168.0.50, type 192.168.000.050

I have updated MANY machines with both the updater, and the Peck tool and have seen this problem. There appears to be some type of bug in the software updater. Roland has been notified.

~E

Thnx for the advice. I also thought that it will help so already tried changing to three digits, and it doesn't work too. :-(
I believe it's something with Vista operating system, so in a few days i'll try connect printer to XP computer and try to upgrade firmware, and than connect back to Vista computer. :)

kico-abaco

How about the firewall? Perhaps it's blocking the updater?

Also, have you tried to run as Adminstrator?

~E

Yap, those were the first things I tried to do.
I'm not familiar with Vista as with XP, so it's really annoying knowing it's something with operating system and I can't figure out what it is. :)

DRamm76

Disregard..it's a real "special" way to run the cables. Ballgame and InkJetAuction are familiar with the process as they are fellow Roland Technicians but I wouldnt recommend end users doing it..

Yours in Scissoring...

kico-abaco

Disregard..it's a real "special" way to run the cables. Ballgame and InkJetAuction are familiar with the process as they are fellow Roland Technicians but I wouldnt recommend end users doing it..

Yours in Scissoring...

Scissoring? You mean take-off ends of cable with scissors and make new ones or what? :)