• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 Fuzzy Printing

ScottB

I'm getting some cyan over spray when printing. I've done a couple of manual cleanings, followed by numerous regular cleanings, and a couple of medium cleanings. I soaked the heads overnight and did another cleaning with no improvement.
All 4 print heads look decent in the print test, but when I print the sample print, the cyan looks fuzzy and the black doesn't look like a solid black.

Before I forget:
I'm using Eco-Sol Max, VersaWorks, and OraJET GRA3165

I'm thinking I may have to do a cap head cleaning on the cyan?

Or?

Thanks In Advance!!
IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1961.jpg IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1963.jpg IMG_1964.jpg

InkjetAuction

Hi Scott. Keep in mind that a nozzle test really only shows a specific condition...whether or not nozzles are open, blocked (drop out), or deflected (partially blocked).

The nozzle test really doesn't show what really happens when the head is being stressed or exercised. You are seeing a print defect that will likely not go away. You may see some light improvement with a head soak, but a soak is mostly effective to release blocked nozzles. It will likely not relieve the overspray due to heavy physical deflection or other electrical issues.

The VP is getting up there in age... are these the originals printheads?

~E

ScottB

Hi Scott. Keep in mind that a nozzle test really only shows a specific condition...whether or not nozzles are open, blocked (drop out), or deflected (partially blocked).

The nozzle test really doesn't show what really happens when the head is being stressed or exercised. You are seeing a print defect that will likely not go away. You may see some light improvement with a head soak, but a soak is mostly effective to release blocked nozzles. It will likely not relieve the overspray due to heavy physical deflection or other electrical issues.

The VP is getting up there in age... are these the originals printheads?

~E

3 of the 4 are originals. I replaced one (now I can't remember which one) a couple of years ago.

ScottB

Update:
After replacing all the cap tops, I'm still having deflection issues. <insert primal frustration scream here>

So, it looks like it's a new print head!

After reading the, more updated version of the service manual I have (https://www.manualslib.com/download/1274998/Roland-Versacamm-Vp-540.html), I'm pretty confident that I'm capable of replacing a print head with minimal frustration (ok, well at least one bloodied knuckle).

However, while reading the updated VP-540 Service Manual, I found a reference to the Roland Special Tool ST-056 for the 2kgf-cm torquing of the print head screws.
So, does anyone use this special tool, or just tighten just before the threads strip? Or is 2kgf-cm (0.2nm) the equivalent to "tight"? This tool is nearly $300!

One last question for this post, where's the best place with FAST SHIPPING to buy a new print head?

Thanks Much In ADVANCE!

ams

Have you been running your heat at the shop high? Dry air will cause static and issues like that, put in a cool mist humidifier for an hour or two.
Also did you manually wipe the edges of the print heads? There may be hairs, globs of ink, etc stuck to it.
Lastly make sure your print head is down and not raised up, the further it is from the material the more likely for over spray.

ScottB

Have you been running your heat at the shop high? Dry air will cause static and issues like that, put in a cool mist humidifier for an hour or two.
Also did you manually wipe the edges of the print heads? There may be hairs, globs of ink, etc stuck to it.
Lastly make sure your print head is down and not raised up, the further it is from the material the more likely for over spray.

Thanks for the checklist!
The temps and humidity at the shop are a stable constant. I learned that lesson with some weird color mixing on prints. The heads are always clean, they get cleaned between jobs to eliminate unwanted ink coverage. Finally, the media is the same media I've been using for the last 6 or 7 jobs.
Thanks!

greysquirrel

No special torquing tool required...find a local reseller and have a tech install it. You will get a 60 day warranty on the head...

ScottB

Final Resolution:

I had the local Roland Tech install the print head, new print head cable, and dampers.

In the process of installing the print head, there's a clear plastic cover that protects the top of the print heads. The print head ribbon cables run through an opening on the right side of the cover. Evidently, the edge at the opening for the ribbon cables is sharp enough to cut through the ribbon cable. Well, one wire got cut and was pushed into the neighboring wire which resulted in a loud "POP". Thankfully a fuse popped before taking out the main control board!

So, I'm back up and running!

What I have learned is that I should keep some parts on hand in case I need to fix the printer after "tech" hours.

I also learned that milk and cookies is a good way to "soften" up the tech so I could ask questions and observe the install process. I'm confident that in a pinch, I could replace the head. I wouldn't be as fast or efficient as someone who does this every day, but I could get in done. And if the timing worked out right, I'd call the tech and let him know I've got the parts. That would speed the response and repair time up!

Thanks for all the advice and replies!

Keep On Printing!