Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VP-540 Magenta "text print" blocks all over the place

Discussion in 'Roland' started by solantis, Jan 28, 2020.

1. solantis

solantis Member

Aug 17, 2013
    South Africa
    I get these random magenta marks on most of my prints and they seem to be getting worst. They look like a long line of a test print (i.e. fine magenta lines).

Its happening from two different computers so i'm sure its not software related. Anyone else experience this or know what could be causing the issue?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    I'd check the ribbon cables to the head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I have a VP540i and it needed a new mainboard. I don't think the VPs are very well made, judging by my experience. I changed out all the cables first.

4. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    on my xf640, we had an issue like that and it ended up being encoder issues. something to look at.

5. autoexebat

autoexebat Member

Apr 15, 2010
    USA
    A lot of people seem to mention this Encoder Cable , I actually just cleaned mine 2 days ago but I never found that to actually FIX a problem .

6. solantis

solantis Member

Aug 17, 2013
    South Africa
    I'll try the encoder and then the ribbon cable to the head. We have had encoder issues previously

• Like Like x 1
  7. solantis

solantis Member

Aug 17, 2013
    South Africa
    So i cleaned the encoder and also took out the ribbon cables to the magenta heads, blew the slots for dust and re-inserted them and now its printing 100%. Lets hope it stays that way will keep everyone posted should anything change.

• Like Like x 2
  8. solantis

solantis Member

Aug 17, 2013
    South Africa
    The issue returned two days later so i bought a new encoder strip (i think that was overdue, had this one for 5 years) and a new encoder sensor and the problem is still there :(

9. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    This is an electrical short. Either a cable is not plugged in properly, is damaged, is dirty, and/or the head is damaged electronically or dirty. I've seen it so many times in my career I have no doubt that is what is going on. Usually I start by changing the head cables and clean the terminals they plug into. I usually air dust the terminal, then clean with 90% alcohol and air dust again. Let dry and then plug in the new cables. If that doesn't fix it, it's either another cable deeper in the machine, the head is bad or another circuit board is bad. Make sure you work with the machine unplugged and wait 15 minutes after unplugging so you don't pop a fuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. solantis

solantis Member

Aug 17, 2013
    South Africa
  11. John.

John. Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Head Cable - I had this issue, replacement of the head cable sorted it.

12. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I thought it solved it too when I changed out all the cables. But it came back. After replacing the 8 short head cables and the 3 or 4 long carriage cables and the keypad cable I changed the mainboard and it fixed it. So far. Fingers are crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1