• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 main board

jr_t1t

My VP-540 has been getting progressively worse about "losing connection" after starting a print. Typically it only happens within the first 5-10" of a print but occasionally happens further in to a print. Once I get it printing past that it will typically print fine until I run out of prints. Anyhow, it's getting very annoying and wasteful trying to get it to print every time i fire the printer up. Everything I've read about this problem points to a new main board eventually...

So, my questions are:

Where is the most economical place to purchase a new main board?

Is it as simple as disconnecting power and unhooking everything from old main board and reconnecting to new main board or is it something that a tech is absolutely needed for?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information!

rghare

Replacement is a complicated one. LOTS of small screws and leads to keep track of. I was glad to have a tech do the disconnect/reconnect. After that there are several routines he performed that I would have known nothing about. Now I’m not terribly mechanically inclined, though I think I could learn to do the job. Having seen the process, I would recommend taking stock of your own abilities to decide whether to take on this task that will probably eat about 2 hours if it’s your first time through. At the very least, wait for more replies here in this forum. Some may well disagree with me.

Good luck!

Dave Faby

My VP-540 has been getting progressively worse about "losing connection" after starting a print. Typically it only happens within the first 5-10" of a print but occasionally happens further in to a print. Once I get it printing past that it will typically print fine until I run out of prints. Anyhow, it's getting very annoying and wasteful trying to get it to print every time i fire the printer up. Everything I've read about this problem points to a new main board eventually...

So, my questions are:

Where is the most economical place to purchase a new main board?

Is it as simple as disconnecting power and unhooking everything from old main board and reconnecting to new main board or is it something that a tech is absolutely needed for?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information!
All the machine Parameters live on that board, and will need to be reloaded or recreated on the new board. I would suggest a service tech, download your current parameter file, replace the board, and reload the parameters for you, and test out the functions.