• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 Printer messed up

klingsdesigns

So last Friday before we moved shops the printer was acting up. It would quit printing mid print. Have to try a few times to get it to work. Had to shut off printer in back and then restart it. We moved machine saturday to new shop. Well every day since had issues with printing have to do it so many times. Then the contour cut seems to be off as well. I did notice when I printed monday my wiper pads got stuck behind my scraper and i had cyan ink coming out. Fixed that issue before it drained too much. Now today finishing up on jobs and the red started to run out. Now the red head doesnt fire and the yellow isnt as well. Any ideas of what to change? I tried new cable to computer, shut all power saving options down on computer, changed ip and printer bought a heater and tried running that behind printer boards to get them warmer.

klingsdesigns

So I pulled ink through each line and i got the colors on test print to show up. Would this have anything to do with me removing the ink cartridges when we moved shops? Air into the lines?

Last edited:

klingsdesigns

Got it to about this. Going to let it sit overnight to see if anyone has any help

Attachments

• C051BF03-932E-4D30-9FD4-2C732A2CBB70.jpeg
    C051BF03-932E-4D30-9FD4-2C732A2CBB70.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 114

klingsdesigns

This was before I pulled ink into the lines with syringe.

Attachments

• B0BBD821-9DC5-4782-B339-05871A4DFC96.jpeg
    B0BBD821-9DC5-4782-B339-05871A4DFC96.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 127

klingsdesigns

Once it stops mid print only way to print again is turning printer off from the back. Then turn back on. Otherwise Versaworks says not connected.

Mainframe

This is a common problem with VP 540 printers, I have had the same problem and solved it by replacing the wifi router, I however had the problem about 6 months ago and it ended up being the main board, I read somewhere on a post a guy put a fan on his mainboard and it helped for a while, the VP540 machines have flawed main boards that commonly fail, as far as I am concerned I think there should be a class action suite against Roland for all these boards going down.

I ended up trading my VP in for another Roland which incidentally just happens to have a fan running all the time on the main board and one inside the print head.

TimToad

You have a hater fan or cooling fan. Did you replace the main board yourself?
I would suspect air in the lines for the drop outs is only a minor contributor. The amount of air that could enter the lines with the cartridges pulled out is pretty minimal. Its not like its an open valve.

The "now processing" issue seems to have as many causes and remedies as anything related to the VP series.

We've tried all the various software and connection related remedies with no success. New cables, static IP, etc.

In our case, it has to be some loose solder connection or something on the mainboard that is loose and only makes full contact when the temperature rises to about 75 right near the printer. All summer long ours starts up and runs perfectly without the error. As soon as fall comes and the shop cools down over night, it's a daily occurrence.

We placed a small space heater right behind the printer at the same level as the mainboard and run it for an hour right when we get in. We also run a blank "warm up" print of 3 or 4 feet of material to warm the plate. After that it will run perfectly all day.

Hope you find a work around like we have. I've heard that there are computer repair shops out there that can fix the issue, we just haven't found one nearby.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Once it stops mid print only way to print again is turning printer off from the back. Then turn back on. Otherwise Versaworks says not connected.

Yep - we had the same issue and had to change the main board. We did not do it ourselves - we had a tech take care of it. As others have mentioned, it seems to be a common problem with the VP540. We've had our since it was new, so it went 10 years before the board had to be replaced.

klingsdesigns

Been running good ever since with the new board? I was debating on upgrading to a vg540? Or probably have tech replace board so i dont mess anything up electrical. He said he would do trade of 2 grand for mine if i upgraded printers.

klingsdesigns

For whatever reason i am still missing the whole right side of my black on the test print. Every other color works perfect. I am assuming i still have air in it. Pulled about 60cc of ink through it. Either that or damper went bad but replaced that about 6 months ago.

klingsdesigns

My black did come back today. Might be because the cartridge is almost empty. Hopefully buying a new vg540 tomorrow and trading this one in. Thanks again for all the help.