• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 prints are spongy/grainy

backwoodsgirl

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. I've been noticing prints coming out spongy-looking, not terrible quality but enough that I can notice a difference and I know my print quality (from exact same, un-edited files) was better a year ago. There's got to be a cause.
- My test print is nearly perfect - just a couple nozzle drop-outs on the black and one in cyan.
- I've cranked up the heat in the shop to 75 thinking that was the issue - its not.
- I've tried a few different types of media, cast, calendared, and various profiles.
- Bi-directional alignment is spot on

I must be missing something. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5973.jpg
    IMG_5973.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 498

TimToad

What kind of image is that?

What is its resolution?

Is it the photo or does the text at the top edge of the photo look normal and fully saturated?

backwoodsgirl

It's a vector image, no issue with the file. No part of the print is good, its equally spotty throughout.
So, this morning I put a humidifier in the office, waited a couple hours and printed the same file. And the print is MUCH BETTER. Maybe not perfect, but passable! Yesterday the humidity was 37, today it's 45, it doesn't seem like that should make any difference?!

TimToad

It's a vector image, no issue with the file. No part of the print is good, its equally spotty throughout.
So, this morning I put a humidifier in the office, waited a couple hours and printed the same file. And the print is MUCH BETTER. Maybe not perfect, but passable! Yesterday the humidity was 37, today it's 45, it doesn't seem like that should make any difference?!

I have never noticed that big of a difference in print quality based on humidity.

We are in a location that can have 100+ degree temperature and single digit humidity for a couple months in a row and in the winter, rainy spells that last for weeks with nearly 100% humidity. We don't have any special humidifying or dehumidifying equipment in use. We run a forced air gas furnace and central air in the summer, but honesty don't do anything out the ordinary for humidity. We'll get a little puckering overnight to the end of a media roll due to the shop cooling down and the heat not running as often, but that's about it.

Are you using OEM inks or third party inks?

Dan Ramm

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. I've been noticing prints coming out spongy-looking, not terrible quality but enough that I can notice a difference and I know my print quality (from exact same, un-edited files) was better a year ago. There's got to be a cause.
- My test print is nearly perfect - just a couple nozzle drop-outs on the black and one in cyan.
- I've cranked up the heat in the shop to 75 thinking that was the issue - its not.
- I've tried a few different types of media, cast, calendared, and various profiles.

Provided your climate in your shop is at the required temperature and the temperature of the vinyl is at room, you may want to check to make sure your heating settings in VersaWORKS match determine the profile in printer settings.
Could also be a static issue but I am leaning more towards heat and environment

backwoodsgirl

Thanks for the input, So when I am in Versaworks under Printer Controls, for Heater Controls should I select Use Custom Settings or Use Default Media Settings? Both read (40C and 45C)

Dan Ramm

Thanks for the input, So when I am in Versaworks under Printer Controls, for Heater Controls should I select Use Custom Settings or Use Default Media Settings? Both read (40C and 45C)
I have always used Default Media Settings. Keep in mind the temperature of the room is also important, especially this time of year. You always want a room temperature environment. If vinyl is too cold and you are running it through the printer heaters you will get prints like this.
what media is it? Are you using Roland Ink?

backwoodsgirl

I have always used Default Media Settings. Keep in mind the temperature of the room is also important, especially this time of year. You always want a room temperature environment. If vinyl is too cold and you are running it through the printer heaters you will get prints like this.
what media is it? Are you using Roland Ink?

Room temp had been 65, now I've got it about 72 to see if that makes any difference. So far I'm feeling sweaty.
All Roland inks and parts.
I use various media, concept glossy calendared, Roland pcv2, 3m ij1080, and some others. Always with appropriate profiles. I think you're correct in it being environmental, but what's odd is I have never had to be so picky about it. When I bought the machine in 2010 I was in a dry, wood-heated space that got cold at night and never any issues.

Joe House

Do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a thermometer/hygrometer that you can keep in your print area. At least then you'll know if your humidity is too low/high or just right. But there are other things that can contribute to this and they can all sort of pile up on top of each other to the point that the problem becomes noticeable. Is your carriage in the low position? Are your print heads clean? Have you replaced the cap and wiper in the last 6 months? Are the print temps correct? Is your media at room temp before you start printing? A nearly perfect test print vs. a perfect test print? That's a pretty dark print, so both cyan and black will have cumulative effects on this one. Have you had any head strikes?
Those are the most common things, but there could be others affecting your print quality.

zsa

Sticker

Did you adjust the Bi Directional setting in the VP menu?
The head height can be a reason also.
Try to print Unidir instead of bidirectional from Versa.