• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540i Clear at one end fuzzy at the other ??

Biggermens

Hi There

Would any one know why my vp540i is printing clear on the right ( control side ) and printing fuzzy on the left side ??
The machine is level and solid, i have also made sure the encoder strip is clean too still same thing

Thanks
Biggs

Biggermens

Here is zoomed in picture
Left & Right.jpg

Gabil

Gary
Check media flanges and left pinch rollers. Check feed motor hours, run feed motor aging test. Clean grit encoder.

Biggermens

I will double check all that, I rebuilt this machine, it is pretty much new from one end to the other

would the vacuum affect that ??
I do the checks and it is pulling hard, until you start to print then pretty much nothing
I checked all the settings in versa works and its all set to strong

Biggermens

do 'Linear encoder'
then 'Linear chack'
then 'Linear calib',
then the limit initialization.

I will do all that, i am a bit more concerned about that vacuum.
I set it from Auto to 100% and it running 100% all the time but when its printing
cutting vacuum its running at 100% every other time its running 100% just not when its printing
set to strong in versaworks

The print cut is bang on, I did about 1000 decals since this morning and no problem with print cut

henryp

The carriage might not be parallel to the platen, I have seen this on other printers where in the gap between the pint head and the platen is not the same between the left and the right side of the unit.

Biggermens

The carriage might not be parallel to the platen, I have seen this on other printers where in the gap between the pint head and the platen is not the same between the left and the right side of the unit.
You are probably right, not sure why it would be off, it was printing fine last week and i did nothing to it

player

You are probably right, not sure why it would be off, it was printing fine last week and i did nothing to it
Can you try it in the slowest mode where it only prints on the way up ( I forget what it is called). Maybe it's an ink/damper issue.

GTSTech_1

If printing in Uni-Direction fixed, then you need to look at the head alignments. Set the base point at he problem side and perform the alignments. Would also double check the carriage height right vs leftside. I once had a customer that for whatever reason would move his printer to different locations using a forklift and ended up bowing the printer frame, but with him the print was good only in the middle, edges were less quality.

Just my .02

henryp

Looks like that fixed it, but that takes double the time :(
must be encoder stripe ???

The gap between the print head and platen is most likely not uniform across the width of the printer. You will never obtain good prints when printing Bi-Directional if that gap is not constant because the time it takes for the ink droplet to hit the media is different between the right side and the left side of your printer.

Have a look at the attached file so you can see what I am talking about.

Attachments

• DropMaster_small.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 279

Biggermens

The gap between the print head and platen is most likely not uniform across the width of the printer. You will never obtain good prints when printing Bi-Directional if that gap is not constant because the time it takes for the ink droplet to hit the media is different between the right side and the left side of your printer.

Have a look at the attached file so you can see what I am talking about.

You are right, what i don't get is the machine never moved, i put a dial on it and looks like its about 0.030 off
do you know what the tolerances are ???

henryp

You are right, what i don't get is the machine never moved, i put a dial on it and looks like its about 0.030 off
do you know what the tolerances are ???

Sorry, I only work Mutoh printers so I would not know the tolerances for a Roland printer. I suppose you need to find a way to make the gap equal to the side that prints OK.