Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VP feed direction Linear scale. Artbot in please

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Gene@mpls, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I started this in the Magenta banding thread- but decided to start a new one.

The VP has a feed scale (think linear scale but four inches diameter) on the
    end of the grit roller shaft. I talked to my tech yesterday and he was surprised
    to hear that and said most Rolands don't have it. I am not sure if my
    SP Roland did or not. I have cleaned mine (it was fairly dirty). I have been
    having banding problems increasingly and have to wonder if that could not
    cause banding? I have a lot of miles on the machine and the head prints are
    perfect as well. I will try some of the diagnostics that PrintWizard Artbot
    mentioned also. Thanks for any thoughts. Gene

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Andrew O

Andrew O Merchant Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    That is a feed encoder disk. There are a couple of different designs for Roland feed encoders, but all VP, VPi, and VS models have this one or something very similar to it. If it gets dirty, it can cause banding. The banding will tend to be cyclical, with repeating intervals equal to the circumference of the disk, which is somewhere between 4.5 and 5 inches. It doesn't look like you posted a picture of the banding, so I can't say what is likely to be causing it.

Feel free to give tech support a toll free call at 800-542-2307 and we can probably help diagnose whatever is causing your problem.

3. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    andrew deserves a beer for that expert reply.

4. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    :bushmill:

Here is a drink Andrew.