• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 Acting Up Again

grafixemporium

I'm having some dropout issues similar to what I had back in this thread...

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85760

You can see the dropout in the attached print. It runs through the whole print but really shows it's ugly face in anything blue.

so, I just finished taking the printer apart to clean the encoder strip and disk. Got everything back together and ran a cmyk flood test. The attached pic 2 is what I got. Totally different problem.

Note: the band in the magenta is a vertical band. Completely different problem. Obviously I screwed something up. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Andrew

Attachments

• IMAG1907.jpg
    IMAG1907.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG1911.jpg
    IMAG1911.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 83

sfr table hockey

The new band line in the Magenta going the feed direction might be a dirty spot on the encoder strip.

I have been reading a bit about similar look to your other banding or drop out look. Some have said that a heavy roll of media can cause this. By unrolling some of the media and less strain on the rollers feed can stop this.

By any chance was this a heavy roll?

grafixemporium

I have gotten similar dropouts on a friend's VP540i with a crappy takeup. The takeup has adjustable tension and if you apply too much, you get a band every time it tugs on the print. Similar effect to what a heavy roll would do.

In my case, no... the roll on there right now is half full. Printed bazillions of full heavy rolls on this printer with no issues.

I'm gonna give the strip another cleaning along with the encoder disk (feed control) now and see what happens.

grafixemporium

Well looks like I missed a spec of something on the encoder strip exactly where that vertical dropout was. Let's hope that took care of that. Gave the encoder disk a thorough bath... got quite a lot of crap off it. Letting the alcohol evaporate before I crank it back up and see what happens...

and it works again!

A dirty feed control encoder disk can really do crazy things to a printer!

Last edited: