• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VP540 Limit Position Initialization problem

Action Mary

It all started when my prints started getting blurry. I called my local Roland dealer to get their guy to install a new strip and sensor. I have done strips before, but never a sensor. I wanted to see how it was done before I tried it myself. Anyhow, now my printer is shot! The guy did not know what to do and said it was time to start switching out boards. Starting with the Servo board. I texted my old guru, who quit the industry, and he walked me through a few things. When I to the intiialization, it starts at 4000. My 54' printer thinks it is 16 feet long? I put my old parts back in, and it is the same thing. My old guru, who was fantastic, and in the industry for years and years, said he had never seen something like this before. Anyone have any ideas I can try? My printer is old and unsupported by Roland anymore but is / was a great machine. I don't want to lose it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If no matter what you do it still acts funky during the limit initialization, it's probably the servo board. Post a picture of the blurry prints though. That might give more insight.

Action Mary

If no matter what you do it still acts funky during the limit initialization, it's probably the servo board. Post a picture of the blurry prints though. That might give more insight.
20221015_211907[1].jpg

Where is the Servo board? Is this something I can change?

Action Mary

Are you able to print still at the moment or are you getting an error code? I believe on that machine the servo board is near the main board. It's behind the back left cover if you're facing the back of the machine.
No I Can't print. I actually had to power down because it kept trying to do the automatic head cleaning and the beeping was driving me crazy. I do put some of the cleaner solution in the cradle everyday to keep my heads from drying out.

Action Mary

No I Can't print. I actually had to power down because it kept trying to do the automatic head cleaning and the beeping was driving me crazy. I do put some of the cleaner solution in the cradle everyday to keep my heads from drying out.
I looked online for a new one. I can get one through ebay for 1500.00 USD. Over 2 grand CDN. I am worried, what if this doesn't fix it? Could it be something else?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I looked online for a new one. I can get one through ebay for 1500.00 USD. Over 2 grand CDN. I am worried, what if this doesn't fix it? Could it be something else?
Is it possible that there is a protective film on the encoder that wasn't taken off before install? I've seen it happen on Mutoh machines. So it's erroring out during the limit position correct?

Action Mary

Is it possible that there is a protective film on the encoder that wasn't taken off before install? I've seen it happen on Mutoh machines. So it's erroring out during the limit position correct?
That isn't it. We put the old parts back in, and had the same problem instead of just blurry prints.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That is what I thought. :( We did find some cheap one's online. Looks like people parting out machines, maybe I will try that route first.
You should be able to find a used one for cheaper for sure. Those were solid machines so there should be a good amount of them still out there.

Action Mary

Well I got the new to me Servo board and installed it. Now I have a new problem. It is trying to clean, but when the wiper slider goes to the back of the machine, it gets stuck there. It makes a thump thump thump sound like it is trying to go further than it can. then I get the 0109 error. I have to turn the machine off at the back because the power button won't shut it down. I have removed the felt wipers and the scraper and cleaned the area in case dry ink is stopping it, but the same problem. I did notice a set screw in the gold gear, can I adjust that?

unmateria

You can adjust the cr return in that machine very good. I did that some years ago without manual, but look in manual, i remember ir was easy

Morph1

Print all
Hey guys I am in a need for a new Servo board at least that is what I suspect is at fault in my unit, I have a question regarding the power on of the main switch at the back, when you power on there should be 3 green LEDS turning on , one on the main board , one on the servo board and one on the top of the head carriage ... My questions is when you power the machine on with the main switch at the back are the 3 green LEDs come on all at the same time or is the Servo board LED about 12 seconds in delay ? My printer seems as it's losing power and shuts off at the moment it starts printing and I noticed the servo board LED also goes out, then after 12 seconds comes back and I can turn the printer back on with the front power button however it will not print as it's been shutting down itself for about a week now. I am puzzled, it could be power supply board as well as it seems as the machine does not get enough power run print operation but it cuts vinyl with no problems. Can someone please check on the Servo Board LED does it come on at the same time as the main board LED ?