• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 Streaking Black?!

purevs

Hi,
My black has gone crazy........it streaks across the page as if it was permenantl on!
Is is dead...........
Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 133

JRSdecals

I would double check the seating of the long print head cables as well as the short printhead cables (with machine powered off and unplugged of course). Or you might have a short in one of those. Otherwise the head has possibly reached the end of it's life.

artbot

first check the data cable to that head for ink, looseness, fraying. the possibility that it his dead is high. if the data cable looks fine, then do a data swap to make sure it's the head, not the carriage board.

purevs

The head used to be very fuzzy, then the Black and Cyan failed 100%, but new fuses fixed that, it's just now as in the picture.
I have swapped a few cables, but I get odd, results when test printing, too hard to explain.
I'm so close to buying a new head, just wanted to make sure really.
What is a "data swap"?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Make sure if your playing with the cables you unplug the machine. I have had so many clients who thought they were doing the right thing forget to unplug and blow out boards.

If you haven't touched the cables at all and this started happening then my guess is a head.

purevs

Thanks for advice, I defo unplug machine....press the on button a few times and touch the control case etc.

otctech

Its one of three things:
1. cables (either bad or not connected correctly)
2. print head
3. head board

The fact that you say it blew fuses makes me think it is the head board and/or head. We've had the exact same thing happen where a head went bad and caused a component on the head board to go bad and blew the fuse. There's been other times were it was just the head. One time it was just that one of the cables wasn't plugged in all the way. All of those different problems showed the same result your getting.

What I would do is swap the cables at the head with a different head and if the problem stays with black, if it does its your head, if it changes to the other head its your head board. Just remember that the test print is going to look messed up no matter what because the cables are in different positions. But the important thing is whether the black or other head is constantly firing during the test print like the black head is now.

Good luck!

purevs

Ok, I swapped the black and the yellow...
Test print shows: all colours, but a bit split up!
Black still streaks across the page, but not as much....?!??
If I remove the black altogether and enter Service Mode, test print shows: lovely! CMY.....sweet!
Does that prove its the black head gone????

Thanks for advice :)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 111

otctech

Ok, I swapped the black and the yellow...
Test print shows: all colours, but a bit split up!
Black still streaks across the page, but not as much....?!??

If black still streaks when it is connected to the yellow cable I would say you have a bad head.