• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VP540i Mainboard Replacement Questions

player

I have had a defective VP540i for some time now. I bought a new Roland VP540i mainboard last fall, but I have not
been confident to change it. It is not so much physically changing the board out, but what I need to do after that. I have done the "get" from the current board, and I understand that I will need to "put" those settings back in the new board. What else will I need to do? What order will I need to do these things?

Anyone who is familiar with the process and would share the steps would be really appreciated.

Thanks

klingsdesigns

The new board should have came with all the directions. If not go to signs in China or what ever that site is. Look at the colors mainboard they have directions on there.

player

https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/13008/original_roland_vp_540_mainboard_6700469010.html

I have an account and logged in. You may have to create an account to get access.
I changed the main board on my XC-540. Piece of cake. Take lots of photos with your cell phone in case you have questions putting it all back together.
For some reason I cannot even open signs in china. I am not as worried about physically replacing the board, it is all the other things after that I am concerned about. I would hate to do something in the wrong order and "brick" the board...

player

Biggermens

I have done a few of them, i assume you already have the peck tool ??

1- read everything with the peck tool
2- change board
3- load everything with the peck tool
4- rock and roll

Just take your time, lots of notes, pretty much all the plugs can only go in one place one way

player

I have done a few of them, i assume you already have the peck tool ??

1- read everything with the peck tool
2- change board
3- load everything with the peck tool
4- rock and roll

Just take your time, lots of notes, pretty much all the plugs can only go in one place one way
Thank you. So I don't have to load the firmware? I did the get with peck from the current board. So all I have to do is put that back in the new board?

Last edited:

MFfromGTS

Yes you do have to load the firmware. The procedure order is; check dip switches, move battery from old board to new one, Install firmware, initialize parameters, set IP address, put the parameters you pulled from old board on the new one.

player

Yes you do have to load the firmware. The procedure order is; check dip switches, move battery from old board to new one, Install firmware, initialize parameters, set IP address, put the parameters you pulled from old board on the new one.
You are telling me exactly what I was needing to know. What is "initialize parameters?

MFfromGTS

To initialize the parameters, hold down the up arrow, down arrow and enter keys while turning on the front power. Then it will say System Parameter Initialize? and hit enter, that's it.

player

To initialize the parameters, hold down the up arrow, down arrow and enter keys while turning on the front power. Then it will say System Parameter Initialize? and hit enter, that's it.
Thank you very much. This is what I have needed for months. Very much appreciated.

player

I changed out the board this afternoon. It took about 3 hours, I took my time.

I will do the other steps this evening. Wish me luck!

After I do the steps you described will I need to do any other calibrations?

player

You will need to set the date and time (Service menu, Sub Menu) and possibly Crop cut adjustment
This is from the service manual: SO I should do #'s 7-11...?

MAIN BOARD REPLACEMENT (In case that the parameters can be transferred by Peck.) : 35 min.
1. DIP SW SETTING
2. BATTERY INSTALLATION
3. FIRMWARE INSTALLATION
4. SYSTEM PARAMETER INITIALIZE
5. IP ADDRESS SETTING
Start the machine with the Service Mode and set in the User Menu.
6. PUT PARAMETER
7. TIME AND DATE SETTING
Set the date and time in the [SERVICE MENU] > [SUB MENU] > [CLOCK]. *Set the [DATE] in order of the [Year/Month/Day].
8. FIRMWARE VERSION CONFIRMATION OF NETWORK CONTROLLER
9. SENSOR CHECK
It can be performed in the SENSOR CHECK.
10. CROP MARK SENSOR ADJUSTMENT
11. CROP-CUT ADJUSTMENT
Necessary when the voltage is adjusted in the CROP MARK SENSOR ADJUSTMENT.

Mario Lemus

I know this is about a year old. I have a few questions about this process. Can I trust Signs in China? How do I use Peck? Somebody sent me V 6.8. I am able to Get Report, but I am not able to Get Parameters. It just sits there with a progress bar that doesn't move. Am I doing something wrong or does that version not work with the VP-540? Does anybody have a different version that I can use? Can it be done without Peck? I really need to fix the disconnecting issue and would appreciate the info. Thanks.

player

I know this is about a year old. I have a few questions about this process. Can I trust Signs in China? How do I use Peck? Somebody sent me V 6.8. I am able to Get Report, but I am not able to Get Parameters. It just sits there with a progress bar that doesn't move. Am I doing something wrong or does that version not work with the VP-540? Does anybody have a different version that I can use? Can it be done without Peck? I really need to fix the disconnecting issue and would appreciate the info. Thanks.
You have to have the power off to do the "get". I screwed around with it until I figured it out.

I bought my board from Digiprint Supplies. They have a 1 year warranty, but they may or may not honour it. My board is fine. I don't trust anything from China. Digiprint is from Europe and they have an office in Miami. They were recently bought by a big company.

Mario Lemus

You have to have the power off to do the "get". I screwed around with it until I figured it out.

I bought my board from Digiprint Supplies. They have a 1 year warranty, but they may or may not honour it. My board is fine. I don't trust anything from China. Digiprint is from Europe and they have an office in Miami. They were recently bought by a big company.

That worked! Thanks! I will look at digiprint supplies.