• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS 540 Dropping K channel during print

divers2deep

Well, after over a week of being down, I needed this fixed. I called a Tech to come out, a certified Roland service center and dealer. . Right away the tech believes the head is bad. He initially changes the damper with a new one and runs choke cleaning along with other cleanings. All of this on my original heads, no changes happens. I give him the ok to change the head since he believed this was a head issue. The head is now changed, the service will cost approx 3000-3100$ to have done. He runs a choke clean along with other cleaning the nozzle check look worse than with my original head. He takes another look at dampers the boot is once again coming off of the damper on the new head. Damper # 3 is now installed. more cleaning, more ink wasted, more money lost, no changes and still looks like crap. A call to Roland is made, this was very brief. The Roland tech support stated he wanted to flush the head from the cap lines, and a flush alignment done. Both are completed, no changes, we are actually getting progressively worse nozzle checks. The tech tries Print Head #2, we are now getting approx 2-4% black ink nozzle checks with Print Head #2. At the end of the 4 hour span I would say 6-8 choke cleanings were done and approximately 20-25 normal to powerful cleaning performed, only for the tech to leave with the nozzle checks worst than this morning, and a broken printer. They are scheduling another trip out for Wednesday. Oh yeah the 3100$ was for the head only and trip charge plus 2 hours. We are now 4 hours in, 2 dampers(same ones), a Print Head, ..... This will be getting interesting, considering my print head was probably never the issue to begin with.

Extremely disappointed by the lack of support from Roland to the field techs!!!

Attachments

• Photo Jan 04, 7 33 34 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 04, 7 33 34 PM.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Photo Jan 04, 7 33 39 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 04, 7 33 39 PM.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Photo Jan 04, 7 33 42 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 04, 7 33 42 PM.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 97

Tizz

I can understand the frustration with this issue.

Although I have an SP540 I also had lost my yellow due to me knocking out ever so slightly the yellow head cable. Totally different set up having 2 heads though.
I swapped the head cables around just to see if this fired up the yellow and it did. Found out I had an issue with the head cable.
Im not sure if this test can be done with your VS but its just a suggestion.

I also managed to blow the head fuse on the main board that permanently lost the magenta and yellow head but fixed it with a few wires, fuse holder, fuse and some soldering.

Hope you find a solution.

Brink

I think that it's going to turn out to be an electrical problem like cabling, or driver board. Looks to me like the black is just not being fired properly. I hope you get satisfaction though.

player

Are you stuck paying for the 2nd head? Wow. If so is there a way to clean and store your old head so you have a spare for down the road?

Tizz

I was also thinking of an electrical problem may it be the head cable, head board or even fuse. But don't know how the VS boards are configured / built.
Have you tried swapping the Black head cable with another colour just to see if the K channel fires up? If you happen to try this out, I cannot stress enough to ensure that the entire printer is turned off and power cable is disconnected. Wont hurt to hit the power button a few times once the power cable is disconnected too. (Pretty sure you already know this though)

Should be able to flush the new head and store it, if you're stuck with this.

pete2803

Could possibly be an electrical problem you could try changing the print head cable cards 4 of them they are inexpensive also the 3 cable cards from main board to head carriage board again inexpensive to buy and not too difficult to change this would rule them out if nothing else, then if you still have the problem change the head carriage board, take a look at these www.digiprintsupplies.com there in Belguim but ship everywhere you'll probably get them next day, do you have service
manual??

Vinyldog

I feel your pain

Welcome to my world. I’ve been battling this same issue for about four years now with my SP540. Mostly the last two years. I’ve done everything you mentioned several times except replacing the head.

You can read my sordid story if you search my name here. Virtually everything I do seems to cure the problem but only for awhile. I’m now convinced it’s a blockage in the feed line. That’s why I’m here today is to locate a source for those parts.

JasonMeisnerSTS

Regarding your Situation

First and Foremost, Bobby from CS Sign Supply is the man and understand Rolands extremely well. I read most of the posts but have your run a complete flush and then do an ink pump up to the lines? if you have done that already, unfortunately, you may have a bad head like Bobby said. typically after doing what you have done, changing ink cartridges, and pulling ink to the head, there is nothing much left to do. Using OEM Ink or if aftermarket, what brand? Looking forward to your response to see what the current status is on your Roland.

JasonMeisnerSTS

service techs

You always have to be careful using a Roland Tech. there are so many solutions you can do without having to dispatch for one although when you select the company, it is good to work with someone who is a straight shooter and not so corporate. most techs will tell you aftermarket ink is bad and will mess up your printer. fact of the matter is, there are great inks out there that will save you money and keep your quality the same while there are other cheaper alternatives that could cause harm. same concept goes to service techs.