• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-540I Metallic Conversion to Eco Solvent Orange, any advice?

FORMATMOTO

Hey y'all!

Been some time since I have posted here. I have a VS-540i, running the latest version of Versaworks.

My issue with the printer is that I cannot output the correct orange. I am just trying to see if anyone has any experience converting one of the (either white or metallic slot) to an aftermarket orange? The new Roland, Epson and Mimaki printer all have orange and green specific cartridges.

I am just trying to see how I could make a conversion work for one of the existing slots that I don't use as much.

I was considering changing to STS Fluorescent Yellow, but I could use the orange more. The gentleman at STS said it would be easy with Flo yellow, however, the yellow fades extremely quickly in the sun, regardless of lam-

My problem is that I cannot match the new KTM orange Pantone as well as newer printers and I am wondering if anyone has done this? There is a company in Sweden that makes MTB graphics that I have seen do the epson metallic and orange conversion. I am just wondering how to effectively get the correct Pantone or if that's even possible with a single channel output like the metallic slot?

If anyone has any advice or a link to another forum that could help, that would be wonderful.

It would be rad to not have to purchase another printer just to achieve one color.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Theoretically I think it's possible. They treat the white and silver as a spot color so simply putting orange in there instead of white shouldn't be any different. As long as the ink is compatible with the machine, I'd give it a shot.

You would need to completely flush the white line and change out the damper before filling the orange. Just keep in mind that this process does not guarantee the head won't clog. It works most of the time but there is always a possibility of losing a few nozzles after the process is complete. White has particles separate from solution much more often than colors so there can be a lot of sediment in there that can clog the head. That's why you might think about manually flushing the lines above the damper, and then gently flushing the white channel on the head separately so that any particles in the system never have to go through the head and have a chance to clog it.

Just keep in mind that the way I describe it here is not the official or recommended way to do it from Roland. If you asked them they would probably say it's not doable.

FORMATMOTO

I would probably use the metallic slot as it is not manufactured by Roland anymore and I can still get white inks from other companies. However, I do also know that the white is garbage(opacity wise, it comes out transparent as hell) and have seen people using Epson inks through the DX7 head with much better results than the oem Roland ink. I am just curious as to how I would match the Pantone color since the metallic slot or white slot is set up. I guess meaning matching the correct Pantone. STS told me they could get me an orange cartridge. I am just curious if anyone has experience with this? Thank you for your response. I know its possible, just trying to see how soon I can make it happen!

Regards-

Zack

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Getting the Pantone match would be the hard part. Since it would be printing as a spot color, you will only be able to control the density. You would have to print on top of the orange to adjust it's color and that could be a nightmare trial and error situation. It might just be more efficient to get your machine and media custom calibrated.