• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS 640 stops printing

graphix45

I have a VS-640 and after printing for a few minutes into a job it just stops printing. It doesn't beep or anything, it just stops. The LCD display on the printer says "NOW PROCESSING" and Versaworks shows "printing" as the status. After sitting for 10 minutes or so, it beeps and show "INTERNAL ERROR 1420363:" or "1420441". I've been told it was most likely a communication error so I just replaced all the cat5 cables. The same thing happened again...printed out about 5" and stopped again. Any help would be much appreciated.

graphix45

I just remembered aweek or two ago it stopped and said on the LCD display something like "MOTOR ERROR...TURN POWER OFF". Maybe this has something to do with it???

Ragnabrok

internal errors can point to something if the number is consistent. an easy first step is update the firmware if you haven't already. if VW says printing and the printer isn't, data might not be getting to the printer, rebooting the router might help, or has any firewall/antivirus software been installed recently?

graphix45

I did update the firmware on the printer yesterday and printed a file that had been stopping half way through with success. But this morning had the same problem again. I'm going to get rid of my malware & cut off firewall/antivirus and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

apexx

I have the same issue with one of vs=640. Currently have 2 years old vs-640 which is causing the same issue. It will say NOW PROCESSING but not printing or any movements at all. Have to reboot. New vs'640 doesn't seems have that issue not yet lol.... Both printers are running on latest firmware. I had that problem only 2 times. I hope you will find what is causing the issue if you do please let us know.

graphix45

I have noticed that 3-5 passes of the print head before it stops printing, it starts pausing when it returns to the control panel side of the printer. Don't know if this is of any help to diagnose the problem.

graphix45

I had the local sign supply tech guy come out to check out the printer and it finally stopped printing on a job while he was here. He hooked the new cat5 cable directly from the computer to the printer and it printed the next 2 days with no problems. I came in on Monday and the first job (which was one of the jobs we printed while he was here with no issues) stopped 1/4 of the way into the print. I've ordered the lastest Versaworks CD and will install that tomorrow on a different computer and see what happens.

bayviewsignworks

I've had that issue here but I run the PC on Mac via Parallels. In the past it does get confused sometimes and I have to shut everything off; printer, computers, everything and restart.

Beyond that, my Mac's hard drive developed a problem and that caused a big slowdown with everything including the PC side. So, ew Mac, new PC OS, new VersaWorks and we're back in business.

graphix45

Update on issue: Yesterday I printed a small job (only about 3 linear feet) and it finished with no problem. Started printing the same file only larger and it printed about 12" and stopped. Out of frustration lightly slapped the right side of the printer and the print head started again. It came back to the right side and stopped so I tapped it again. Same thing it started back printing. This sequence happened about 5 times before it stopped and a tap to the side did not get it started again. I then popped it a little harder and nothing, then once again a little harder and then a scan motor error 0080 0080 popped up. So it seems like I had to kick start it like something was binding up maybe. I'm going to try to clean the encoder strip & use a can of air to blow out some places I can't get to, then reset the limits .
I'll post the results later today.

bilge

Update on issue: Yesterday I printed a small job (only about 3 linear feet) and it finished with no problem. Started printing the same file only larger and it printed about 12" and stopped. Out of frustration lightly slapped the right side of the printer and the print head started again. It came back to the right side and stopped so I tapped it again. Same thing it started back printing. This sequence happened about 5 times before it stopped and a tap to the side did not get it started again. I then popped it a little harder and nothing, then once again a little harder and then a scan motor error 0080 0080 popped up. So it seems like I had to kick start it like something was binding up maybe. I'm going to try to clean the encoder strip & use a can of air to blow out some places I can't get to, then reset the limits .
I'll post the results later today.

Did you check the encoder disk? If you print a lot, you might need to replace the scan motor. I'm going to part out RA 640, same as VS but print only, used 6 months since new (used dye ink). No printhead and need to replace mainboard. Sell everything except these 2 and the body panel which I'm going to make a sign. If you interested let me know.

Hey graphix45,

No need for you to continue struggling with this issue. It's recommended that you contact Roland support and get help with this ASAP. We'll need you to complete our support submission form so we can create a support ticket for you. Go here to submit your info: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

graphix45

Thanks for all the replies.
I have talked to someone at Roland tech support & he had me install the lastest firmware for the printer but that did not fix the problem. I also had the local Roland trained tech guy here but didn't seem he really knew enough or at least not much experience...Cost me $300 for an hour at the shop and travel time.
It seemed everyone was pointing the finger to an issue with my computer communicating with the printer. They also said that if we eliminated all chances of communication problems, it was most likely the main board. I was told the main board with labor and programming would be close to $3000 and there was no guarantee if that didn't fix the problem.
I did clean the entire encoder strip & did the limit initialization process. So far its printing like new again. It may start acting up after our time off for the holidays, but for now it's working. Thanks again for all the advise and replies.
Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

E Coloney

I had a problem with my XC-540 where a scan motor error popped up (don't recall the error number(s)). Mine wouldn't print at all. The print carriage would hardly move and I'd get an error. Now, it's not precisely the same as your error but out of it all I learned I needed to lubricate the linear bearing (the full width silver "rail") which I had never done in several years of ownership (low usage of the printer, though). I did a reset and also thoroughly cleaned the bearing and now I'm determined to give it a little lube when I do a manual cleaning of the heads. No more of these problems. It's "free" to do. Would be interested to know if it helps any (vs the slap method).

graphix45

Well if a hammer doesn't fix it...get a BIGGER hammer!
So far so good. Haven't printed any one job over 7' long yet but have printed a lot of smaller jobs back to back and it's worked great. So it seems cleaning the encoder and re-setting the limits has done the trick. I hope this will help someone else down the road if they have a similar problem.

ipdprint

I had a problem with my XC-540 where a scan motor error popped up (don't recall the error number(s)). Mine wouldn't print at all. The print carriage would hardly move and I'd get an error. Now, it's not precisely the same as your error but out of it all I learned I needed to lubricate the linear bearing (the full width silver "rail") which I had never done in several years of ownership (low usage of the printer, though). I did a reset and also thoroughly cleaned the bearing and now I'm determined to give it a little lube when I do a manual cleaning of the heads. No more of these problems. It's "free" to do. Would be interested to know if it helps any (vs the slap method).
HI,
can you please tell me what oil should I use
Nash