• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-640 won't work with GR2-640

dfelty

Just trying to feel out if anyone has any suggestions before I ship my new GR2-640 back to Roland.

Short story is we we have a VS-640 and we were looking to add a GR-640 to help with cutting backlogs on the printer/cutter. When we contacted our dealer they told us that Roland is discontinuing the GR-640 and coming out with the new GR2-640. We were assured that the new plotter was capable of reading the Roland crop marks produced by the VS-640. We were lucky enough to get the GR2-640 a few weeks ago but the problem is that the VS-640 will only work in Versaworks 5 and the GR2-640 will only work with Versaworks 6. My question is, is there another RIP out there that may work with both? I'm assuming the versaworks issue is not fixable as Roland will not want to let you put the new cutter in the older versaworks, and/or will not want you to put the old printer on the new versaworks. The only solution I'm thinking is getting away from Versaworks.

My other initial thought was to just send the GR2-640 back and trying to find a GR-640 since it currently won't work with my printer, but now I'm second guessing that decision since it sounds like so many other people are having issues finding plotters in stock. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

UserTK-421

I know this is an old topic, but the VS-640 will certainly work with Versaworks 6, you should be able to upgrade Versaworks and use both with no issues.

dfelty

Can you explain how I can get Versaworks 6 to read my VS-640? Every time I try to connect, it says that my printer is not supported by Versaworks 6. Also spoke to my dealer who told me that Roland said the printer is not compatible with Versaworks 6.

UserTK-421

I think you might have been given incorrect information.

Per Roland's site:

VersaWorks 6 works with these models​

• Eco-Solvent Printers and Printer/Cutters
    • BN-20
    • EJ-640
    • RF-640
    • SG2-540/300
    • SG-540/300
    • SP-540i/300i
    • VF2-640
    • VG-640/540
    • VS-640i/540i/300i
    • XR-640
    • XF-640
  • UV Printers and Printer/Cutters
    • LEC2-300
    • LEC-540/330
    • LEF-12/12i
    • LEF-300/200/20
    • LEF2-300D/300/200
    • LEJ-640
  • Dye-Sublimation Printer
    • RT-640*
      *Ergosoft Roland Edition users are excluded from the upgrade.

I would start by downloading Versaworks 6 (latest is v6.13.1 IIRC), completely uninstalling Versaworks 5 (after saving any stored jobs I wanted), rebooting the computer, and then starting with a fresh install of Versaworks 6, finding it via IP again, and going from there.

UserTK-421

To doublecheck I just spoke with Roland, the Vs-640 is confirmed to be supported in Versaworks 6.

Edited to correct the information.

Last edited:

UserTK-421

Mate you can't be this blind. He has 640, not 640i.
No need to be aggressive, I just replied that it is confirmed to work after contacting Roland, the VS not the VS-640i, apologies I mistyped.

Nice way to respond to someone.

Good luck getting it to work, I regret attempting to help.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
No need to be aggressive, I just replied that it is confirmed to work after contacting Roland.

Maybe if you opened your eyes and read the reply above?

Nice way to respond to someone.
And everyone who has an VS-640i can go to Roland website and see that it's supported.
Now how is that supposed to help OP who has VS-640, that is not supported?
I wasn't the one coming here 6 moths later telling it's supported when it's not...