Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VS540 dropping out one of the Cyan channels.

Discussion in 'Roland' started by akey, Dec 17, 2018.

1. akey

akey New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Texas
    Hi all. I have a VS540 that is dropping out the Cyan during printing. It will stop printing at the exact same point on this particular print. Others it may stop at a different point or not at all depending on how much Cyan is used. When I do a test print the right Cyan stripe is almost completely gone. I can then do a powerful cleaning and another test print and the Cyan comes back. Also, one of the times I tested it the Cyan and Black channel next to it were gone. After the powerful clean they both came back. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. graphix45

graphix45 Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eastern NC
    I have a VS640 that will not print large areas of blue or purple with looking like your sample. It starts ok and just gradually gets worse. My test print usually looks ok, but right now I'm missing one of the cyan channels. I just replaced the cap top & I'm in the process of doing a head soak. hopefully it will come back after a few more cleaning cycles. I was wondering how to flush the lines thinking there was a blockage somewhere. Can a cleaning cartridge be installed in the place of the cyan cartridges and keep doing cleanings and test prints?

3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    When a certain color drops out during printing it's almost always a failing damper or bad connection between the ink line and damper. Dampers are maintenance items and should be changed at least once every 2 years but I would change them once a year if I ran a machine. Most people just ignore them until they fail. I would start by changing them if they are older.

Other than that, anything that restricts ink flow or allows air into the system will cause this issue.

4. graphix45

graphix45 Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Are they difficult to change? Any videos on how to change them?

5. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I'm sure YouTube has some videos on the topic. It's not too hard but you want to do it right. See if you can get your hands on a tech manual and it will have the instructions in there.

6. graphix45

graphix45 Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Thanks!

7. akey

akey New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Texas
    We replaced the cap top and dampers yesterday. Unfortunately we had the same problem. It's very strange that it runs out and the exact same spot.

8. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    When this problem persists even after changing cap tops and dampers, either there is an air leak somewhere in the ink system (especially if you use a bulk system, or there could also be damage inside the print head. I always check the ink cartridge to make sure it's not empty and not flagging the machine which would cause similar issues.

9. graphix45

graphix45 Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eastern NC
    Vander J, I got a "carriage has separated" error a few days ago, it also happened a year or so ago and just now did it again. Usually I clean the encoder strip and it will start back working but this time, I cleaned it and it did it again printing the first set of marks for contour cutting. What causes that? The cut tool & print head were still together.

10. graphix45

graphix45 Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eastern NC
    akey, Did you ever get your problem resolved?