• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS540i metallic and white questions

Ben338

Hi guys,

Just had my new Roland VS540i installed with the white and metallic config. I'm aware this ink setup takes some extra management and causes some extra waste, but Roland claim the VSi series is up to 80% more efficient at running these inks than than previous model (the VS, I assume). I'm really interested to know what any VSi users think about this as I've seen a lot of negative stuff regarding wastage with the previous Mt./Wt. Roland's.

Thanks

Ben

synergy_jim

we run very little metallic on our XR640 . After pumping through 2 cartridges of silver with only 2 paying jobs, we swapped the silver for a cleaning cartridge. I'm not pumping any more 220 dollar silver ink into the drain bottle. The white seems to last way longer.

Ben338

we run very little metallic on our XR640 . After pumping through 2 cartridges of silver with only 2 paying jobs, we swapped the silver for a cleaning cartridge. I'm not pumping any more 220 dollar silver ink into the drain bottle. The white seems to last way longer.

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping use it enough not to worry. I had no idea a cleaning cartridge could replace it! Is this as straight forward as it sounds? Any side effects or warranty issues? And I assume the metallic can be places back in at any point? I hope it works for VSi

Ben338

We're running white on our XR-640 and I'm really happy with how it prints.

That being said I'm not happy with all the cleaning cycles and delays with ink circulation related to the white.

I've been trying to get it sorted out and have spoken to Roland but no changes yet. I'm talking 5-10 minutes of cleaning before printing white jobs. It's theoretically only supposed to clean for under a minute so I dunno.

Since it cleans so much it does waste white ink in the process but you just need to build it into your white ink jobs.

I can't comment on how that compares to some of the other models with white ink but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks, I'm hoping that the improvements Roland claim to have made with the VSi make these problems not so bad!

splizaat

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping use it enough not to worry. I had no idea a cleaning cartridge could replace it! Is this as straight forward as it sounds? Any side effects or warranty issues? And I assume the metallic can be places back in at any point? I hope it works for VSi

YES. The side effect of running a cleaning cartridge is that whenever you decide to pop the white or metallic cartridge in, you have to run a "fill ink" to get all the cleaning fluid out of the lines and ink into them -- but it runs ink from ALL 8 cartridges. I'd only do this if it's a long term thing for you.

splizaat

That being said I'm not happy with all the cleaning cycles and delays with ink circulation related to the white.

It'd be nice if the VS540i would run circulation on it's own twice a day....hopefully eliminating the need to manually do it before every print job. Even then, I'm not sure that'd work....that, or how about two nipples on the WHITE ink cartridge - one outgoing and one incoming. So circulation actually circulated ink back into the cartridge and mixed it up automatically.

Can you point me to the circulation option in the menu? or does it automatically circulate when a white job is sent? We just got our printer a few days ago and I want to play with white a bit. Haven't even touched it yet