• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VS540i Printing terrible

Kelcy Deeds

Hey guys, i recently bought a used VS540i from a shop that closed down near me. Now before the shop closed down, i went and looked at the print quality and everything seemed to be good and image quality was good. Now a few months later, i think they may have had the printer sitting for a while and i received the machine now and its printing terrible. when i first got it it literally wouldnt print anything and then i did quite a few cleanings and now its printing like this. What do you guys think the problem is? dried up heads or does it look like something else? i did many cleanings and also a manual cleaning. Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_100218.jpg
    IMG_20190429_100218.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20190429_100211.jpg
    IMG_20190429_100211.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 429

Kelcy Deeds

The previous owner says he recently changed them. Do they go bad from sitting? Any chance anything is wrong with the head. I wanna know because if it is then the previous owner said he would replace it because he gave a guarantee that it'd work good.

ProPDF

The previous owner says he recently changed them. Do they go bad from sitting? Any chance anything is wrong with the head. I wanna know because if it is then the previous owner said he would replace it because he gave a guarantee that it'd work good.

Yeah they go bad if they sit a month plus. After a month they can still be recovered but your chances go down hill each day it sits unplugged.

From the head pattern missing nozzles in even blotches like this across multiple colors really looks like it’s had some severe head crashes into the print media. Get the head to the left of the machine and take a look at the surface of the print head. If you see shiny streaks, scratches or anything else odd that appears as damage this can help in determining the head condition.

The other issue is the type of overspray you have. Usually from my experience that overspray means the head is cashed out.

I would be extremely surprised if you had a tech come in who could get that head into even %90 firing correctly.

If you change the head make sure you change the dampers too especially if the machine was sitting and or running aftermarket ink.

Kelcy Deeds

I just took some pictures of the right side and it looks nasty. looks as if the guy never cleaned the printer since day 1. I'd like to order everything i need to for it. can you verify if these are the right parts and the right amount?

http://www.extremeinkjet.com/Versacamm_Tune_Up_Kit_p/tuneup_vs.htm?CartID=1 I need one of this, right? it looked to me as if the printer took two wiper sets? two felt ones and two rubber ones.

Do i need anything else besides that? Also, take a look at the pics of the head, thats after a manual cleaning and then a power cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_20190430_095524.jpg
    IMG_20190430_095524.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20190430_095518.jpg
    IMG_20190430_095518.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_20190430_095503.jpg
    IMG_20190430_095503.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 366
  • IMG_20190430_095456.jpg
    IMG_20190430_095456.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20190430_104746.jpg
    IMG_20190430_104746.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20190430_104735.jpg
    IMG_20190430_104735.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20190430_104721.jpg
    IMG_20190430_104721.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20190430_102336.jpg
    IMG_20190430_102336.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 350

Joe House

It only looks like a wiper is missing. Don't worry about it. The one you have is trash though. Your felt looks good, but it's in the wrong position. Your print head is a lost cause though. You'll need a new one and as indicated before, a set of dampers to go with it. Since you're not familiar with the printer, I would recommend that you find a tech to come do the work and observe if you can. Also have the tech show you proper maintenance. You probably also need a wiper scraper as well.
And, if you ever need to leave it sit, make sure that it's plugged in with the power on. And do the maintenance once a week whether you use it or not.

Good Luck. Wish I could come to Belize to do the service for you.

Kelcy Deeds

Thanks for the advise! yes i wish i could get tech support here in belize but theres zero dealers in the country. ok, ill order that stuff today. So theres 4 dampers for this printer, correct?

Kelcy Deeds

Does the VS540i like mine take a dx6 or dx7 printhead? Everywhere i look, it seems like you can use either one. Do you guys have any advise?

ProPDF

Does the VS540i like mine take a dx6 or dx7 printhead? Everywhere i look, it seems like you can use either one. Do you guys have any advise?

https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/16851/vs_series_dx6_printhead_6701409010.html
https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/24982/h_e_parts_epson_dx6_printhead_damper.html

Make sure to order by DHL shipping. They are your best bet making it through customs and actually to your door without being "lost" in Belize.

Also I would order OEM wipers and OEM captop for the VS model. The aftermarket ones are not the best. The OEM captop is softer and seals better.

Build your shopping cart and then email their support or add them on Skype to confirm everything you are going to buy will fit your printer. DHL will get it to you in 3 days.
Sign In China doesn't keep the best records on their parts numbers lately so you may find more parts under the VS640 model than the VS540i model you have. FYI

From the looks of your pics no one replaced that print head recently.

Kelcy Deeds

I bought the service manual for the printer and it doesnt look like its very complicated to change the printhead, considering my previous job before going into printing was being a mechanic. lol but i had one question, the previous owner was running aftermarket ink and i wanna switch it to jetbest as it seems most people here have had good luck with that ink, but my question was, should i put in the flushing cartridges and flush it with the old printhead and then change the printhead so the new printhead doesnt get that older ink in it? As i said, i wish i could a roland service tech here but thats not an option here in belize. perfectpdf were you planning on vactioning in belize any time soon? haha

ProPDF

I bought the service manual for the printer and it doesnt look like its very complicated to change the printhead, considering my previous job before going into printing was being a mechanic. lol but i had one question, the previous owner was running aftermarket ink and i wanna switch it to jetbest as it seems most people here have had good luck with that ink, but my question was, should i put in the flushing cartridges and flush it with the old printhead and then change the printhead so the new printhead doesnt get that older ink in it? As i said, i wish i could a roland service tech here but thats not an option here in belize. perfectpdf were you planning on vactioning in belize any time soon? haha

No Belize anytime soon but if I do I will let you know! I would get in touch with your jetbest dealer and tell them you will buy from them ink and spare parts if they can help you via facetime install the head.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Good idea!

We are Jetbest master distributor in the US. We can help you. You want to buy original damper and original cap top for your VS540i. Aftermarket parts will not work well on this type of printer especially the DX7 printhead powered printer.

We recommend
Original damper from Epson. $85.
Original cap top from Roland. $119.

I would buy four dampers, one cap top and wiper as a cleaning kit. Install them on the printer. Now use cleaning cartridges to perform head wash. I would leave the cleaning solution in the machine for one extra day. Do one more head wash. Now install Jetbest ink to the printer. If the head still need replacement. Now replace the printhead. That is what we do to replace printhead for our local southern California customers.

Email for support. sales@premiercolour.com