Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW - Printer Controls

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Colin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I've been noticing lately that when I click on the "Printer Controls" tab in VW, sometimes the "Feed Calibration" and "Other Controls" are either set to "Use Default Media Settings" or "Use Printer Settings" (Heater Controls always default to Printer Controls). The default for these two settings flip back & forth depending what media/profile is selected.

Why is this?

My main question is: How can a media type/profile have it's own "Feed Calibration Controls" or "Vacuum Power/Dry Time/Head Height"?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    the feed calibration control in the profile allows for the thickness of the media, which can slightly alter how far forward the media is advanced after each print pass, which causes banding.

The same is true about the vacuum power, head height etc. for example, 18oz banner material, the profile should have the vacuum power set to "High" and the head height set to high.

Having said that, I don't trust that the profiles supplied by vendors have these settings within the profile, so i always set them myself.

3. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Thanks for that. I wonder why Roland wouldn't have "Printer Controls" always as the default?

4. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    I always use the media settings. On the heat settings especially, it makes a difference in direct relationship to the banding I see on prints. I wouldn't want printer controls to be the default personally.

5. dcurtisroland

dcurtisroland Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Some of our media require specific controls during testing so we add them to the profile. This is not for all of our substrates, just the ones where we notice there might be a problem. If you notice a media where heat settings, feed cal or vacuum power have defaults, its because we noticed specific behavior during profiling where we thought it would give best performance to have those details included. They can easily be bypassed and ignored, but if you're looking for an explanation, that's why.

-Dana

6. otctech

otctech Member

Dec 16, 2011
    I would say that as far as feed calibration is concerned, you should always go off your printer and not the profile. When we run the exact same media on a brand new machine and a older machine the number can vary greatly depending on how worn the grit rollers are.

7. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Thanks Dana. It's sounds like a test print might be the best way to go.

It seems counter-intuitive to dial in the feed calibration for one's particular machine, only to have that overwritten by a media profile.

-shrug-

8. dcurtisroland

dcurtisroland Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Think of it as a reminder, that particular media does not operate the same as the others and needs to be adjusted.

-Dana