• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VW - Printer Controls

Colin

I've been noticing lately that when I click on the "Printer Controls" tab in VW, sometimes the "Feed Calibration" and "Other Controls" are either set to "Use Default Media Settings" or "Use Printer Settings" (Heater Controls always default to Printer Controls). The default for these two settings flip back & forth depending what media/profile is selected.

Why is this?

My main question is: How can a media type/profile have it's own "Feed Calibration Controls" or "Vacuum Power/Dry Time/Head Height"?

Attachments

• Feed.jpg
    Feed.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

CanuckSigns

the feed calibration control in the profile allows for the thickness of the media, which can slightly alter how far forward the media is advanced after each print pass, which causes banding.

The same is true about the vacuum power, head height etc. for example, 18oz banner material, the profile should have the vacuum power set to "High" and the head height set to high.

Having said that, I don't trust that the profiles supplied by vendors have these settings within the profile, so i always set them myself.

Colin

Thanks for that. I wonder why Roland wouldn't have "Printer Controls" always as the default?

Bigdawg

Just Me
I always use the media settings. On the heat settings especially, it makes a difference in direct relationship to the banding I see on prints. I wouldn't want printer controls to be the default personally.

dcurtisroland

Thanks for that. I wonder why Roland wouldn't have "Printer Controls" always as the default?

Some of our media require specific controls during testing so we add them to the profile. This is not for all of our substrates, just the ones where we notice there might be a problem. If you notice a media where heat settings, feed cal or vacuum power have defaults, its because we noticed specific behavior during profiling where we thought it would give best performance to have those details included. They can easily be bypassed and ignored, but if you're looking for an explanation, that's why.

-Dana

otctech

I would say that as far as feed calibration is concerned, you should always go off your printer and not the profile. When we run the exact same media on a brand new machine and a older machine the number can vary greatly depending on how worn the grit rollers are.

Colin

Thanks Dana. It's sounds like a test print might be the best way to go.

It seems counter-intuitive to dial in the feed calibration for one's particular machine, only to have that overwritten by a media profile.

-shrug-

dcurtisroland

Thanks Dana. It's sounds like a test print might be the best way to go.

It seems counter-intuitive to dial in the feed calibration for one's particular machine, only to have that overwritten by a media profile.

-shrug-

Think of it as a reminder, that particular media does not operate the same as the others and needs to be adjusted.

-Dana